Trans control - 0023 release

'Microsquirt' Transmission Control development and support.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ap67et10
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Trans control - 0023 release

Post by ap67et10 »

So I finally got a chance to load the new firmware into GPIO for my truck. First thing I did was check the speedo and that all works great. Then I took a datalog of my drive home (which is a pretty short drive) and it did not do any of the odd changes to the trans temp reading that it was doing before when it was shifting gears. So somewhere along the line you fixed that issue also. And from what I can tell it is working absolutely flawless!

The only question I have is: What is the plan was for pinout of GPIO for 4r70/75 trans in terms of the gear selector/range sensor? I have my input going to AD5 which Ashford pointed out to me. I know you changed the documentation to show the selector/range sensor should go to AD0 like I originally had the wiring set up, but it was never actually changed in the firmware. It is still wired to AD5. Were you planning to change this later when you add O/D on/off switch capabilities?

After driving around for a few weeks with 0022 release, I had realized I wanted to make a couple small tweaks to the tune for better drive-ability. I made them all offline before driving the truck, and again was surprised at how amazingly everything responded to what I changed. I just never got this kind of reliability and ease of tuning with megashift. I can't say enough about how good this software is, even though its so simple, it just works!

At the moment I have absolutely no suggestions or requests for improvement. I will keep driving it and see if I can critique it a little, but I have found nothing so far that is a concern to me at all, which is slightly odd for me, yet amazingly satisfying! Thanks again James!

Andrew
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

That's great to hear such positive feedback. I need to decide how to handle the OD button and formalise it in the docs.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

i have not tested this code out since i went back to a manual nut there are 2 suggestions i have(plan on using this on the next build)

1. divorce the shift tables and pressure tables from using the same load. this is almost mandatory for turbo cars since engine torque can more than double without throttle movement. vice versa for the map based but it will give unwanted shift caracteristics,

2. retard timing during shifts. not really needed but was a nice addition in megashift
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

ashford wrote:i have not tested this code out since i went back to a manual nut there are 2 suggestions i have(plan on using this on the next build)

1. divorce the shift tables and pressure tables from using the same load. this is almost mandatory for turbo cars since engine torque can more than double without throttle movement. vice versa for the map based but it will give unwanted shift caracteristics,

2. retard timing during shifts. not really needed but was a nice addition in megashift
Both sound feasible.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

ap67et10
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ap67et10 »

So I ran into my first bit of issues. I was driving home on friday from the junk yard (awesome scores on 1/2 off day at the pick n pull....BTW! :lol: ) and it had started raining pretty good (this is not the first time I've driven this in the rain...its had many drives in the wet/rain) and as I was cruising about 60 it started downshifting and doing weird things. I looked down and saw my speedo dropping out, which made me obviously think I have an issue with the VSS1 input from the trans. Anyways, I parked it over the weekend and this morning grabbed my computer to log the drive to my shop. The VSS1 dropout was really bad, and it was also doing the trans temp thing where it reads properly then switches to 70 degrees then back again in different gears. which it wasn't doing at all after I had first loaded the recent firmware. I also haven't really had any VSS issues since putting in the dual VR board from Jean. And I've shown absolutely no issues since loading up this firmware, and that's including all the releases up to this point from 0020 or 0021 I think. Really even after loading this current firmware I didn't have any issues until now. My initial thought is I have a some sort of odd wiring/noise issue going on that just started, or at least just got bad enough to show itself. But figured I'd throw the log out there for you to look at before I do anything.

Andrew
ap67et10
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ap67et10 »

Also, today on my drive to the shop it was not raining, its a little damp out, but definitely not wet.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Do you have an internal or external version of the dual VR board?

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
ap67et10
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ap67et10 »

hey Jean,

Its Andrew, ATP on your site. My username is different on MS forums. Its the 5v version, getting power from MS3 5v ref, but if you remember I encased it into dual wall heat shrink and its in the engine bay. The 2nd input on that board is VSS2 which runs into the MS3. I have never had any issues with that VSS2 signal. Only the signal from the trans going into GPIO. It was extremely temperamental with megashift code, and has been completely problem free since using James' code.

I circled where the VR board is that is for VSS signals. I'm also running another VR board with crank and cam signals that I also have no issue with. It is on in about the same spot, roughly 6-8 inches away.

Andrew
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Andrew,

I thought that was you but wasn't sure.

What I'm wondering is if there could be some moisture that could find its way to the board especially when it's raining. If it happens, that could create problems if the VR signal from your sensor gets to a relatively high voltage.

One thing you may want to do is to coat the board to waterproof it. One easily available product you could use is Krylon crystal clear. You could thoroughly clean the board with alcohol or acetone, dry it and then apply a coat (or a few) over the entire board and exposed wires. That would remove any possibility that moisture could affect the signal. And there is no downside to it other than the trouble of applying the coating. You would still want to put it inside the heat shrink tubing so that it is physically protected.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
ap67et10
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ap67et10 »

Since its a bit of a pain to pull it out, I was thinking about maybe swapping inputs or outputs (since both are VSS signals) to see if that changes things. If I swap outputs it would mean the trans signal would go to MS3 for VSS2 and the front wheel speed sensor would go to GPIO for VSS1. I'd obviously change the settings to match in TS, but if its a VR board issue I should see the problem swap from VSS1 at GPIO over to VSS2 going into the MS3, yeah?? If I remember correctly I have each VR board wrapped in dual wall then a second layer of larger dual wall wrapped over that. I'd doubt moisture is getting in, but I've seen much crazier things happen. This isn't the first time I've had it in the rain at all. But it did start doing weird things when it was raining...and hasn't stopped doing weird things yet.

Andrew
ap67et10
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ap67et10 »

Actually, if the signal issue did swap inputs it could mean its the VR board or the sensor or wiring to the board having some new issue that had developed. I'd likely swap the inputs at that point to verify if the issue stays on the same circuit its the board or if it moves again, its the inputs/wiring/sensor issue.

Andrew
ap67et10
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ap67et10 »

The one thing I was thinking I would do first before anything else though, is replace some of the jumpers that come with the GPIO. Those little jumpers and pins just suck...last time I was doing some playing around some of them felt like they had terrible fitment on the pins. I'd like to get those tightened up and make sure that is all good first. Seems like a dumb thing that could quickly be eliminated as an issue.

Andrew
snapc33
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by snapc33 »

Just switch from megashift code to this on my GPIO controlling a 4l80e. Seems to be working correctly so far other than slight VSS noise causing issues. Will report back once it is dialed in a bit more.
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

I FINALLY have my V3 Microsquirt hooked up to the 4T40-E and I'm not seeing any trans temp. Engine speed, TPS and ECT are all coming in fine across the CAN bus and I see brake switch input when I apply the brake but not trans temp. I did a resistance check across the thermistor (at the Microsquirt connector) and I am seeing about 550 Ohms after 10 minutes of idling the engine with the trans in park.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

prof315 wrote:I FINALLY have my V3 Microsquirt hooked up to the 4T40-E and I'm not seeing any trans temp. Engine speed, TPS and ECT are all coming in fine across the CAN bus and I see brake switch input when I apply the brake but not trans temp. I did a resistance check across the thermistor (at the Microsquirt connector) and I am seeing about 550 Ohms after 10 minutes of idling the engine with the trans in park.
If you enable the ADC0 gauge on your dash do you see any change on that input?

James

prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

Yes the ADC0 gauge does change. Honestly though at the moment I have bigger issues. VSS is not reading correctly and the TFP truth table is incorrect for the 4T40E. I am going to do a bunch of testing tomorrow and hopefully will be able to provide an accurate truth table. I'll also load the 0024 release. Ah the joys of being the first person to try new hardware :roll: !
Support the developers!
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Ok, let me know what you find and I'll get you a code update.

James

prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

Will do James and thanks!
Support the developers!