4R70W + GPIO

'Microsquirt' Transmission Control development and support.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

bronx
MS/Extra Newbie

4R70W + GPIO

Post by bronx »

Hi all,

I'm getting around to finishing a long term project restoring a 71 Bronco with a msefi controlled 351w + TBI. I have a 98 4R70w transmission with transfer case, and an unbuilt GPIO kit I purchased a few years back.
I've been reading though the forums and I need some clarity on a few questions.

1. Can I load the trans control release 1.0.1 on the GPIO board?
2. Will the GPIO board work with the 98+ digital shift lever, or do I need microsquirt hardware?
3. Besides the solenoid and shift lever wiring on the transmission and VSS on the transfer case, does the GPIO / TCU use any of the other pins/terminals on the transmission?

Thanks for your help,
Austen
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: 4R70W + GPIO

Post by Raymond_B »

The GPIO is included in the trans controller manuals. That should help get answers to some of your questions.

http://www.msextra.com/product-range/ex ... n-control/
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
http://www.buildpics.org/
bronx
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by bronx »

Raymond,

Thanks for the link, I have already reviewed the manual, and the 4r70w section is pretty sparse. It seems from the manual that I can load the trans controller code on the GPIO, though I would like clarity on that. It would be helpful if there was a section in the manual of supported hardware. (model and revision)
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

The code available on this sub forum is designed to work with a Microsquirt ( V1 V2 or V3), MS2, AND GPIO. Controller specific wiring notes are in the supplemental manual that is part of the firmware download.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
bronx
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by bronx »

prof315, thank you for clarifying question 1, I will proceed to use the GPIO hardware.

Based on what I've read, I will follow the GPIO 4l80e build guide with changes documented here: http://www.msgpio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=635
I'd like to verify this configuration will work with the 98+ digital shift lever.
I found a source on pre-terminated wires with 8' of color coded wire, and based on what I've read, i just need to solenoid and shift lever wires/terminals off the transmission for the TCU application.

Austen
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Laminar »

If you haven't found it yet, this thread might interest you.
bronx
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by bronx »

Laminar,

Thanks, l'll follow the thread.
pcf_mark
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by pcf_mark »

Laminar if you identify the paddle shift wiring let me know I have yet to sort that out. My 4R70W on microsquirt is down to getting the CANBUS working and I can take a test drive.
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Laminar »

I had a friend buy the GPIO to control an Explorer 4R70W swapped into his '82 F-150, but he went a different direction with the build for now so I won't be of any help to you guys. :oops: