6l80e support?

'Microsquirt' Transmission Control development and support.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ap67et10
Helpful MS/Extra'er

6l80e support?

Post by ap67et10 »

Ok, so I apologize because I have done exactly zero research on this trans to know anything about it yet. But I wanted to toss it out there because I have a potential customer that has an LS3/6l80e combo in an old nova. However the drivability is apparently terrible and the paddle shifter doesn't work and the people that did the trans tuning just can't get it to operate correctly with GM setup. So whats the possibility of making it work on a micro? I didn't immediately see anyone ask about this trans, but maybe it has been discussed? Sorry I just don't have the time to research at the moment so figured I'd toss up a thread.

Thanks,
Andrew Peterson
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: 6l80e support?

Post by Matt Cramer »

I believe this one has a TCU in the oil pan that needs a CAN signal. We'd need the CAN protocol to support it.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Jony787
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Jony787 »

Matt Cramer wrote:I believe this one has a TCU in the oil pan that needs a CAN signal. We'd need the CAN protocol to support it.
How about just remove the tcm and just control the solenoids?
apalrd
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by apalrd »

I did some searching for you.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/stsfaq/tsb/d ... 30-023.pdf

The trans has 8 solenoids. 6 are 'pressure control' (VFS current-controlled) and two are 'shift solenoids' which are PWM.

There are 5 clutches. 3 of these have direct control by a VFS solenoid. The other two share a VFS solenoid, and it looks like Shift Sol 1 (digital/PWM) is used to select which. The other two VFS solenoids are for torque-converter and line pressure. There does not appear to be a pressure sensor anywhere, so they rely entirely on the VFS current for pressure feedback. The other Shift Sol is only turned off in Reverse, not entirely sure why.

Even if you rebuilt the valve body to pull out all of the solenoid wires and bypass the TCM, this transmission still shifts clutch-to-clutch, which MS Trans doesn't support.
jonrck
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jonrck »

So did you ever figure out a solution?

I have a similar project now.
RandyP
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by RandyP »

The issue is still the same, the 6L80e/6L90e are not supported with the clutch to clutch shifting. The TCM seems to be incapable of operating as a standalone, so it needs the CAN bus network information to function. The shift solenoids are in the TCM housing itself, so not feasible to remove the TCM. As a note, the TFP switches are the only switches for pressures it seems.

There are starting to be standalone controllers or ECU with trans control coming out just recently for the 6L80e/6L90e, just not many options yet.
Randy
DIYAutoTune.com support
jonrck
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by jonrck »

Thank you for your input.

I found a company out of AZ. Zero gravity performance. They have a module to interface with the factory trans controller, and allows you to change shift points and pressures as well. about $1000

Ill let you know how it works, as it seems like my only option at this time...
91blkvette
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 91blkvette »

Looking to swap out my 7OOR for a 6l80 as well. Has anyone looked at TCI's products? https://www.tciauto.com/transmission-controllers.html