Paddle Shifter Wiring

'Microsquirt' Transmission Control development and support.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

stanglx2002
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Paddle Shifter Wiring

Post by stanglx2002 »

I have been doing alot of research trying to get ready for swapping out my current AOD to a 4R70W transmission to my mustang. One of the features I would like to incorporate is the use of Paddle Shifters. After reading the brief section of the manual http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/Tra ... l-1.0.html (6.3.2.7 Paddle Shifter) it brings up using the "horn" as the output, which makes me assume that I would be using the current horn wiring for both the paddle shifter (Up/down) and the horn.

After searching, I didn't find the need wiring diagram as to how to make this all work. I do understand that I need to breakup the horn wiring of 5v(?)/ground into 3 separate volts: Up, Down, Out (Horn).

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for doing this, and in "dummy" language? I don't understand wiring very well, so any help would be appreciated.
stanglx2002
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Paddle Shifter Wiring

Post by stanglx2002 »

I found the below wiring diagram from MegaShift, but wasn't sure if this will work or not.
Paddle Shifter Wiring Diagram.PNG
http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/voltshift.html

Thoughts?
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

That is cute I bet you could use that to figure out the wiring for a rotary switch to control all sorts of things.

try running it off the Vref

5 volts
500 ohms
1500 ohms
600 ohms
400 ohms

Andy
stanglx2002
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by stanglx2002 »

Sorry for not understanding as wiring is definitely a weak point for me. You have to talk to me like a 5 Year Old Child when it comes to is kind of stuff.

Couple questions I have now:
1. If I take the 5V from the microsquirt's Vref, how do I get it up the steering column (Are my below thoughts correct)?
- I would be cutting the existing horn wire in half
+ Half that goes up the steering column goes to Vref on the microsquirt (if you can tell me which pin that would be awesome)
+ Half that goes to the horn goes to an output on the microsquirt (if you can tell me which pin that would be awesome)

2. If I do the above, I assume I will need to setup a voltage divider with resistors (Like my diagram above) to breakup the single Vref voltage into 3 different voltages upshift, downshift, horn?

3. Is it ok to use a single ground spot for all three (upshift, downshift, horn) in the steering column?
stanglx2002
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by stanglx2002 »

stanglx2002 wrote:Sorry for not understanding as wiring is definitely a weak point for me. You have to talk to me like a 5 Year Old Child when it comes to is kind of stuff.

Couple questions I have now:
1. If I take the 5V from the microsquirt's Vref, how do I get it up the steering column (Are my below thoughts correct)?
- I would be cutting the existing horn wire in half
+ Half that goes up the steering column goes to Vref on the microsquirt (if you can tell me which pin that would be awesome)
+ Half that goes to the horn goes to an output on the microsquirt (if you can tell me which pin that would be awesome)

2. If I do the above, I assume I will need to setup a voltage divider with resistors (Like my diagram above) to breakup the single Vref voltage into 3 different voltages upshift, downshift, horn?

3. Is it ok to use a single ground spot for all three (upshift, downshift, horn) in the steering column?
Can anyone help with these questions? I am still lost and are looking at tackling this project over the winter.