Microsquirt/MS2 based transmission controller

'Microsquirt' Transmission Control development and support.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

slow67
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Microsquirt/MS2 based transmission controller

Post by slow67 »

I prefer to have the TCC locked at 0% TPS (but unlock with brake pedal) with a big stall. Trust me, it gets REALLY annoying cruising down the highway, let off the gas for a second, get back on it and it flashes up then re-locks.
2000 Camaro, 5.3L 4L80E, 9 inch.
roarin_mouse
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by roarin_mouse »

Let's make it a user selectable option.
1979 Camaro
383 stroker w/Ramjet EFI manifold
MS2 Extra running semi-sequential, wasted spark
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

roarin_mouse wrote:Let's make it a user selectable option.
When I get to it, will be done.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
roarin_mouse
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by roarin_mouse »

There are some hardware mods that would allow control over the EPC frequency and TCC/32-sol frequency. Here's what we can do:
1) Replace Q1 & Q5 with logic-level MOSFETS.
2) Remove R15 & R20.
3) Remove Q10 & Q13
4) Jumper the base pad of Q10 to the R15 pad that connects to the gate of Q1.
5) Jumper the base pad of Q13 to the R20 pad that connects to the gate of Q5.
6) On the MSII board, jumper U2-1 to pin 4 of the 40 pin connector.
7) Remove R22 & R23.
8) Jumper the R22 pad that connects to R23 to IGBTIN.

These mods will make the MSII essentially the same as the GPIO transmission controller (as far as the PWM outputs).
1979 Camaro
roarin_mouse
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by roarin_mouse »

I put together this little EXCEL spreadsheet to establish upshifts, downshifts and TCC lockup/Unlock. Rather than using separate curves for the downshift curve, I made it a percentage of the associated upshift curve. The TCC is operated in a similar way. You should change only the values that are BOLD. The advantage to this over separate curves are that it might making tuning on the fly a bit safer because you can't move the downshift curve over the corresponding upshift curve. Currently it's set up with my car's rear-end and a 4L80E but you can change to suit your setup. Remember, only change the values that are BOLD.
1979 Camaro
radiogareth
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by radiogareth »

Sorry if this question is 'simples' but I do not have a running car with a 4l60E (or 4L80E) in it to try.

I can understand how the different solenoids engage each gear (just been playing with 4th and TCC on a A44LD) and how line pressure and TCC lockup work but it would be nice to see a sequence of operation document or similar for both/either box, what I don't get is how the manual shifter input influences things, other than the mechanical parking pawl. Unless it has a lot of switches that tells the PCM where the shifter is?
Is there a description somewhere I can read? Or well commented software that might make some sense to a "no-code beyond basic" person?

TIA

Gareth (imminent purchase of 2005 5.3 vortec L33 with 4L60E attached)
slow67
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by slow67 »

radiogareth wrote:Sorry if this question is 'simples' but I do not have a running car with a 4l60E (or 4L80E) in it to try.

I can understand how the different solenoids engage each gear (just been playing with 4th and TCC on a A44LD) and how line pressure and TCC lockup work but it would be nice to see a sequence of operation document or similar for both/either box, what I don't get is how the manual shifter input influences things, other than the mechanical parking pawl. Unless it has a lot of switches that tells the PCM where the shifter is?
Is there a description somewhere I can read? Or well commented software that might make some sense to a "no-code beyond basic" person?

TIA

Gareth (imminent purchase of 2005 5.3 vortec L33 with 4L60E attached)

Here is how it works for the 4L80E:
The 4L60E sees the exact same signals, but the actual switch itself is a different shape.
radiogareth
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by radiogareth »

Wow, thanks, that solves the problem, so all these signals come out on the gearbox connector, that way the controller knows what the driver wants to do, eg hold 1st gear?

I'd guess your 5.3 is running MS both ends?

Thanks - Gareth
slow67
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by slow67 »

radiogareth wrote:Wow, thanks, that solves the problem, so all these signals come out on the gearbox connector, that way the controller knows what the driver wants to do, eg hold 1st gear?

I'd guess your 5.3 is running MS both ends?

Thanks - Gareth
They come thru 3 wires in the transmission connector.

Nope, currently running on the factory PCM. My racecar will use MS3/MS2 for the engine/trans (when it gets finished, who know when :( ).
mitsuru
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mitsuru »

any updates on this?
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

Mmm.. Updates.. Yes. The development on the Chrysler 41te support is going great. I believe the code is all but complete as far as supporting the transmission at this point. James has added a number of new features to the controller firmware along the way, such as paddle support with support for using a single horn wire for both paddles and the actual horn button. The trans controller will honk the horn. Pretty neat little trick. It's got speedometer output now, which I just wired up recently and it works very well. He recently added the ability to control lockup torque converters based on TPS rather than just brake pedal, which seems to be how Chrysler does it from the factory, at least on my PT Cruiser.
I'd definitely say it's safe to wire up one of those transmissions with this controller and expect it to work (once you tune it). And all the other transmissions that this firmware already supported will just benefit from the new features that I just mentioned.
It's a shame the GPIO went up in price by over 50% recently, it's not really as appealing as it was at it's previous price. If you recently upgraded from an MS2 to an MS3 CPU, and still have your MS2 CPU laying around, this code will run on it, you'll just have to conjure up a board to run it in.. :twisted:
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

I've logged several hundred miles on James's latest firmware version (from November) so far this spring. I have been able to dial in all of my upshifts so it shifts pretty much like factory would. Strangely enough, all I really had to do was leave the solenoid timing at 0. I imagine if I did some valve body mods, I'd start using that timing to tame things down, but as it stands, it's just a case of switching to the next set of solenoids for an upshift.
I had had trouble with it downshifting into 1st, mostly due to the funky way Chrysler multipurposes the solenoids on this transmission with a shuttle valve, but James added the needed timing variables to the code and it now downshifts to 1st just fine.
The code has paddle shift support, but as soon as I wired it up, my horn wire decided to stop working, so I have to pull my aftermarket wheel off and figure out what the problem is. And my floor mounted "autostick" shifter uses some kind of screwy VR switches, rather than the MicroSwitches you'd expect it to have used. So that didn't work either.
I've got a couple of feature requests and such pending for James to look into next time he gets a chance to sit down in front of this firmware again. But I'm really happy with all the great work James has put into it. I'm hoping more people will take the leap and try out this controller on this transmission, sooner than later.. :)
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
DIY-Russ
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by DIY-Russ »

Hey guys, a huge thank you to all who are working on this project! I hate to see the anxious user traffic slow down for something like this so I for one am excited and waiting for the new version of the firmware! I'm definitely excited about the paddle shift support!

I've built a DIYPNP with two MIcroSquirt Modules inside, one for engine and the 2nd for trans. This will be for my 99 4Runner 4X4. I plan to run a fuel composition sensor for E85 and if I ever have the time (probably not), add a turbo. I'd like to start learning about making my own ethanol fuel as well, but again the time thing. I'd like to start small and see how the fuel does on my lawnmower or something similar, then move on to a larger scale if it's all going well.

The code seems to support my transmission which is the A340F
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_A_transmission#A3xx
The shift patterns are the same as the A341E trans listed in the "base settings" menu. The ECU however still seems to be expecting the signal from the GM three pin line pressure sensor. The Toyota trans doesn't use that type of sensor, rather it has a separate switched 12V input to the ECU for each shift lever position.

I know that would take a ton of extra inputs that just aren't available so what I'm thinking about is building a little translation box to take the separate inputs from my shift lever and output the various GM 3-pin high / low patterns. Should be doable with three transistors and some resistors / diodes.

Russ - DIYAutoTune.com Tech Support
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

That's a really cool setup, creative idea there, using a second uS module stacked ontop of the first.
There is code that supports paddle shifting now, hit up James for a copy of the latest version, we were ripping through versions really fast late last summer/early fall, and he wasn't sharing them because they were untested, but this version has served me well for at least a month now..
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

The dual module setup looks interesting. I'll try to support your install as I can - time permitting as usual!

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

I have a request for "Race Mode", which I used at the track yesterday, simply to get lockup in 3rd gear at WOT. What I'd like is an option to default to the 100% TPS shift points at all times, when in Race Mode, and another option to disable downshifting when in Race Mode.. Make them checkboxes, so those who don't like that idea don't have to have it, but those who want to try it can.. I had some traction issues yesterday, when backpedalling, it upshifted to 3rd.. Hooked up, and when I punched the gas, it tried to downshift to 1st.. Even the factory computer has a hard time downshifting this trans from 3rd to 1st.. If it had stayed at the 100% TPS shift points, I may not have had that problem at all. I'll post my datalog here, it's a bit long, they told me I was about to run, then let 3 more pair race before me, so you'll have to skim through quite a bit before you get to the actual race..
(For those who haven't viewed one of these logs before, look for trans.mph, trans.gear and add them to the graph in MLV) James, I'd like a trans.TCC output 0 or 1 might work, or you could do the TCC duty cycle.. any kind of TCC status in the log...
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
devojet
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by devojet »

Hi Russ,

I originally worked with James to add the toyota a340 gearbox to the firmware. For the shift lever inputs you need to multiplex them together to use the 3 gm inputs. The other problem is the 2 shift solenoids need the 12v side switched instead of the ground side which will require some extra circuits to be made up. I have a hot rod with a 1uz V8 and a340 gearbox running off an MS2 and GPIO board. It is still not finished yet but the engine runs and it shifts into first gear.

Cheers

Daniel.
26 Chev hotrod with a 1UZFE and MS3x, Flex fuel, GPIO Transmission control and LCDash.
Twin turbo LS3 powered Race boat with MS3pro and GPIO.
MS2 on a 22r in a Hilux (mates car).
MS2extra on a turbo EF Falcon (brothers car).
Toyota Supra 1jz MS2extra, COP.
13B Turbo MS2extra.
radiogareth
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by radiogareth »

Hi Daniel, Rod sounds like it will be sweet ride, very slowly working on an 1953 Austin A70 / Northstar V8/ GM4L60E here, but got a L33 Chevy 5.3 in the way at the moment. By shifts into 1st do you mean via paddles?

Cheers

Gareth
devojet
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by devojet »

Hi Gareth,

I mean when I put it into Drive it shifts into first gear as it should. A toyota gearbox with no electronics connected will shift into 4th when you put it in drive. I haven't upgraded to the latest code from James yet.

Cheers

Daniel.
26 Chev hotrod with a 1UZFE and MS3x, Flex fuel, GPIO Transmission control and LCDash.
Twin turbo LS3 powered Race boat with MS3pro and GPIO.
MS2 on a 22r in a Hilux (mates car).
MS2extra on a turbo EF Falcon (brothers car).
Toyota Supra 1jz MS2extra, COP.
13B Turbo MS2extra.
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

James.. Could I get a copy of the current version of the source for this trans controller? You're very busy, and I need some of the bugs fixed/features modified, I'd like to take another stab at working the code. :RTFM: Thanks.
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage