Microsquirt/MS2 based transmission controller

'Microsquirt' Transmission Control development and support.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: Microsquirt/MS2 based transmission controller

Post by jsmcortina »

I'll have a look at where I was and put the full zip up on the site.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

Cool, thanks.
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

Are you going to put the file here: http://www.msextra.com/doc/trans/files/alpha/ ?
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

Not there yet, don't mean to bother you, I'd just like to get a copy of that...
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
DIY-Russ
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by DIY-Russ »

I need to check my forum settings so I get an email alert when this thread is replied to. I haven't made much progress on the 4Runner DIYPNP dual MicroSquirt module, alot going on right now and kiddo #2 due late August.
280GE 1JZ
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 280GE 1JZ »

Just wondering if it is possible to add megashift code to ms3 code and use ms3x medium current output to control transmission? Thanks.

Regards,
Doddy
devojet
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by devojet »

jsmcortina wrote:I'll have a look at where I was and put the full zip up on the site.

James
Hi James did you ever upload the latest version of the trans firmware and do you have a description of the new features?

Cheers

Daniel
26 Chev hotrod with a 1UZFE and MS3x, Flex fuel, GPIO Transmission control and LCDash.
Twin turbo LS3 powered Race boat with MS3pro and GPIO.
MS2 on a 22r in a Hilux (mates car).
MS2extra on a turbo EF Falcon (brothers car).
Toyota Supra 1jz MS2extra, COP.
13B Turbo MS2extra.
moparman76_69
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by moparman76_69 »

I am looking for info on using this controller on the Chrysler 41TE, I was wondering if any wiring schematics or other info was ever released?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

I'm not sure if anyone is presently testing with the 41TE.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

Hey James! :)

I'm afraid that I have sold my project vehicles, and I don't know of anyone who is testing it with the 41te either... :(

Anyway, cheers to you -- I hope everything is going well for you!

Thad
--'98 Dodge Neon ACR Turbo - MS3 beta test car - Sold
--'97 BMW 540i/6spd - Single Front/Top Mount Turbo 550+ HP - MS3+MS3X V3.0 - Sold but ripping in Vegas
--'97 BMW 328i 5.3 L33/TH400 Swapped drift car - MS3+MS3X V3.0 Full Sequential - Turbos And Radiator In the Trunk 9.6@144 on a 1.55 60ft
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

I was the only one to ever try this code with the 41te. IMHO, that trans is junk and a waste of time. Don't bother.
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

UnaClocker wrote:I was the only one to ever try this code with the 41te. IMHO, that trans is junk and a waste of time. Don't bother.
I suppose you have some reasons to make such a statement, but my experience with them indicates that they are far from junk. Currently I have one in my wife's 3.8L Town and Country that has around 117k miles on it, and I have one in my 3.8L dogvan that is closing in on 200k miles. Both of them work PERFECTLY.

Also, I had a 41te in the project van I got from RacerStev that had pretty crazy valve body mods done to it, and was being controlled with a PCS controller that didn't even employ the peak and hold style solenoid driver strategy that seems necessary to run the 41te properly. That trans worked very well for me when I got a good solenoid pack in it, and got the PWM values for the solenoids properly sorted. I sold the van to a friend of mine who wanted a cheap little van for various errands, and he loves it to this day. He loves it so much that he usually drives it instead of his relatively new Chevy pickup.

To cap it all off, I still have the 41te in pieces on my bench that RacerStev went in the 10s with. The internals look perfect. RacerStev thought something broke in the trans, but it seems that it was nothing more than the solenoid pack. When the solenoid pack on the project van started acting up, I put the solenoid pack from the "broken" trans on it only to find that it acted a lot like what RacerStev described in the race car when he thought the trans was broken. One new ninety something dollar solenoid pack from eBay and the trans was working perfectly.

Add all of this stuff together and I think the 41te is a pretty fantastic transmission.

Thad
--'97 BMW 540i/6spd - Single Front/Top Mount Turbo 550+ HP - MS3+MS3X V3.0 - Sold but ripping in Vegas
--'97 BMW 328i 5.3 L33/TH400 Swapped drift car - MS3+MS3X V3.0 Full Sequential - Turbos And Radiator In the Trunk 9.6@144 on a 1.55 60ft
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Part of Una's experience is likely related to the difficulty in accurately controlling the transmission and the problems that can result from it.
The GM boxes are far easier to control.

James

Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

Undoubtedly James. The shift curves and PWM parameters plus a few other delay values in the PCS controller made it quite feasible to control the 41te very well, but it was still a lot of work to get everything tuned well. Having said all of that, I think the potential existed to really control the 41te WELL/PROPERLY with your firmware and the available hardware. I really do think it's quite a great trans.

I'm still hoping at some point here in the next couple of years I'll be able to start another project, and the goals include a GM automatic trans behind 8 cylinders, preferably with turbo! MS3 is the bomb, for sure, and I would still really like to control a transmission with MS-something. I've just gotta get time back on my side...
devojet
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by devojet »

jsmcortina wrote:I'll have a look at where I was and put the full zip up on the site.

James
Hi James did you ever upload the latest version of the trans firmware and do you have a description of the new features?

Cheers

Daniel.
26 Chev hotrod with a 1UZFE and MS3x, Flex fuel, GPIO Transmission control and LCDash.
13B Turbo MS2extra.
r20-xm
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by r20-xm »

Hi

I decided to manage transmission controller for Nissan Maxima RE4F04A tranny.

As I can see, working logic of this transmission is almost similar to 4L60E (4L80E)...

But there are some differences...

RE4F04A has:

5 actuators:
Shift sol. A (On/Off)
Shift sol. B (On/Off)
TC clutch sol. (On/Off)
Overrun clutch sol. (On/Off)
Pressure regulator sol (PWM)

9 sensors:
Inhibitor switch (PRND21)
Throttle pos. sensor
Closed throttle pos. switch
WOT switch
Engine speed signal
ATF temp. sensor
Revolution sensor
Vehicle speed sensor
O/D switch (On/off)

Shift solenoids A and B control shifting 4 gears (1st - On/On, 2nd - Off/On, 3rd - Off/Off, 4th - On/Off) similar to 4L60E...

Differences are:
1. Inhibitor switch. stock TCM receives separate signal (+12v) for every Shift lever position (PRND21) P and N are same. 4L60E has pressure switch assembly, which provides 3 signal lines: A,B and C...whith 6 combinations of signal.
2. RE4F04A has no D3 position. But it has O/D off switch. (+12v when O/D is on).
3. RE4F04A has overrun clutch solenoid, wich is ON in all ranges except when O/D is off. But it has no 3-2 shift solenoid, smooth downshifting is managed using pressure control solenoid.
4. RE4F04A has 2 speed sensors - 1st shared with ECM and Combination meter, 2nd used only by TCM.

So, my question is:
how can I manage my tranny using MS based TCM, according to theese differences?

I can provide all info about my tranny ...
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

If someone wants to get into James' trans firmware and needs a GPIO, I have my used one still sitting here. Was considering tossing the MS2-Extra firmware on it and trying to add the hardware needed to do that, but I doubt I ever will. So it's really just sitting around doing nothing in my desk.
edit: strike that, it's on it's way to devojet
Last edited by UnaClocker on Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
devojet
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by devojet »

1. The shift lever possition is the same as my Toyota gearbox. I just used a circuit to multiplex the signals together so they work with the 3 inputs desiged for the 4l60e. See attached diagram.

2. The shift solenoid pattern would need to be added to the firmware unless its the same as the 4l60e.

3. not sure about the overrun clutch. Pressure control is the same as 4l60e so no problem there.

4. Just use one of the speed sensors for the controller.

Cheers

Daniel.
selector wiring1.png
13B Turbo MS2extra.
chetw77cruiser
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by chetw77cruiser »

Good evening, how is everyone? I am new to the list and megashift but not new to megasquirt. I am going to be working on a new project that will be involving a caddy 4.9 v8, MS3, a 4t60e trans, and a microsquirt for said trans control. My question is will this control the 4T60E? After doing some research, I believe the answer is yes, but I want to be sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and don't be afraid to ask me questions.

Thank you,
chetw77cruiser
guhfluh
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by guhfluh »

Tjabo wrote:... a few other delay values in the PCS controller made it quite feasible to control the 41te very well, but it was still a lot of work to get everything tuned well...
That is the ticket for controlling Chrysler's clutch-to-clutch electronic transmissions, including the RFE series. PCS no longer offers their controller for the Chrysler transmissions because of the intense tuning and tech support required after each sale. From what I have seen, it is simply the tuning of load vs rpm vs solenoid actuation timing that the MS controllers lack to control these transmissions correctly. It's all about the overlap timing, from what I understand.
'99 Neon, NGC 2.4L, MS2, P&H board, EGT board, turbo, etc... MS2extra3.1.1 currently