4l80e external wiring

'Microsquirt' Transmission Control development and support.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

4l80e external wiring

Post by nathaninwa »

I've picked up a microsquirt from DIY to wire into my 2wd 94 model year 80e transmission. Enough googling has brought me to understand the prndl or nuetral safety switch setup is in the column on the shifter. My transmission does not have any bosses to mount one on the side. I'll be using an b+m proratchet (3 postion, return to center style) shifter. What would be a good method for wiring in the the 2 inputs, selector postion a,b and c?

Is it just a ground input from the new shifter in park or neutral?

And something else that questions me, how does the tranny know if I'm in manual low or reverse then?

The large bulkhead plug is the same from 94 up and I have a vss front and rear on the transmission
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: 4l80e external wiring

Post by jsmcortina »

The a b c switches are all internal. See the diagram in the trans manual.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

I had a pro ratchet on my torqueflite. They have one micro switch for park and neutral on the shifter and a second micro switch for reverse.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

Alright, I looked at the round transmission plug and now see the a,b,c inputs for gear position and to clarify things for install, the shifter will only hook mechanically like a turbo 350 does with just a lever arm on the transmission and I'll use the proratchets internal micro switches for nuetral and reverse options?
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

I used the shifters micro switches for the cars normal neutral inhibitor and reverse light function because my trans "rooster comb" was broken and not allowing the factory switch to operate.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
ap67et10
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ap67et10 »

The switches on the shifter won't have anything to do with the Microsquirt wiring to the trans. The shifter switches should be wired to your starter relay so that it will not allow starting if the shifter isn't in park or neutral. The switch on the shifter for reverse is to operate the rear tail lights. Again the microsquirt doesn't care about this as all the wiring for the microsquirt for operating the transmission come from the transmission. The only things that don't come from the trans that the controller needs are brake input and a switch if you want to toggle between manual and automatic mode, which is not required, but an option I think you'd want with a ratchet shifter. Read the manual that is in the ZIP file James posted, it has all the info you need.

Andrew