Toyota A340 control

'Microsquirt' Transmission Control development and support.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

litneon
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Toyota A340 control

Post by litneon »

Ok, the changes I made to Daniel's circuitry inlcude:

Replaced the 10k resistors with 1k's.
Added the 2.2k resistors on each output for pulling down the MS2 inputs' voltages.
I also added another 1k resistor, 5v Zener, and pull down resistor to make a separate circuit for the brake input. It works the same way as the other circuit, it's just way less complicated.

I've learned a lot through this process, and I want to thank James, Daniel, Jeff, and Don for all of their collective help. I will pass on what I've learned.

Last edited by litneon on Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turbofreakdotcom
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Turbofreakdotcom »

Thank you very much for all your help! I will finish with the test circuit tonight to see if the SEL input works for me. The layout in the MS box is taking the longest of my time. Due to space I wanted to keep the additional board mounted on inside lid and only use harness. Once the wires are attached it should be fairly clean.
Updated 6/20/18:
87 Supra-3.0 1.5JZ-A340 trans
MS2 ECU
MS2 Trans controller
litneon
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by litneon »

So you are taking all 6 (or more) wires into the case and setting the circuitry up in the proto area? I had considered that, but decided that there wasn't adequate room. It will also require a rebuild if the controller ever needs replacing.
Turbofreakdotcom
Experienced MS/Extra'er

The proto area only holds the SEL in diodes per build instructions. The rest of the circuits are going on the yellow baord you see that have standoffs I've mounted to the lid. When done everything will be tidy and replaceable. LOTS of time setting this up....
Updated 6/20/18:
MS2 ECU
MS2 Trans controller
litneon
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by litneon »

I see. I missed that when I read your previous post.
Turbofreakdotcom
Experienced MS/Extra'er

I added the brake circuit on the board along with the SEL circuit. Thanks for the heads up, that works out great.
I currently run paddles off the cruise control line to the current trans controller which, roughly, DOWN = 1.3 volts and UP = 3.5 volts. Trying to work out where I need to attach the circuit for the cruise/paddle wire.
I see the options are PE0, PE1, etc.. What sort of "protective circuit" is needed if I connect paddles to JS7?
Updated 6/20/18:
MS2 ECU
MS2 Trans controller
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

The PE0/PE1/JS11 inputs are for the 'Enable' input, telling the processor "We're using paddle shifters now!". These pins are going-low digital inputs, and need a switching guard circuit as seen here.

The actual paddle input, with its variable voltage input, needs to be connected to an ADC - CLT or TPS are the offered options. I'm fairly certain the option to use PE0/PE1/JS11 for this input is an error, as they can't tell the difference between 1.3 and 3.5v. While it would make sense to offer the option of digital inputs for UP and DOWN, that doesn't seem to be supported currently.
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
Turbofreakdotcom
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Thank you for the clarity.
I'm sure my misunderstanding of the usage of the input was incorrect as the supplement shows it as "Selector pos D / Spare analog in".
Under the paddle options in TS, I can select PE0 and active high or low. Just to understand, PE0 must run Low?
I see now that the actual "paddle inputs" in TS give us the option for using ADC0 through ADC7. Is it correct those are MS2 CPU pins 22 through 30?
The controller will be using CAN to the MS ECU for information and the manual states those circuits can be omitted, so I had the belief utilizing CLT and TPS for analog inputs was not an option.
Updated 6/20/18:
MS2 ECU
MS2 Trans controller
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

My mistake - you are correct, the 'enable' pin can be set to active high or low.

That said, I took another look at the TC program in TS, and I only see CLT or TPS as options for the paddle shifters. Wait - do you have 'MS2' selected under [Base Settings] [Hardware in use]? The GPIO firmware is far more flexible in its pin selection and allows any ADC for this function, and I have no doubt it could be used with an MS2 DC, but would require careful pin selection, adaptor circuit construction and wiring. If you needed help with pull-down resistors, I would suggest staying with the nominal MS2 firmware and the wiring guide that goes with it.
TTR Ignition Systems
Turbofreakdotcom
Experienced MS/Extra'er

I am running MS2.
Sorry, I know this thread has bounced around from questions and advice on GPIO, to MS2, to Microsquirt....

I added a signature to simplify what I'm using. :D
Updated 6/20/18:
MS2 ECU
MS2 Trans controller
Turbofreakdotcom
Experienced MS/Extra'er

The inputs I see for MS2 is in the attached screenshot. I'm not sure which of these are available to use and where these attach to the V3 board.
Updated 6/20/18:
MS2 ECU
MS2 Trans controller
devojet
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by devojet »

As Dontz said do you have 'MS2' selected under [Base Settings] [Hardware in use]. I just checked and you only get all the ADC's as options for paddle shift if you have selected GPIO as your Hardware. You will need to change this to MS2 otherwise there will be differences in the IO that is used and it might not work.

Cheers
Daniel.
26 Chev hotrod with a 1UZFE and MS3x, Flex fuel, GPIO Transmission control and LCDash.
Twin turbo LS3 powered Race boat with MS3pro and GPIO.
MS2 on a 22r in a Hilux (mates car).
MS2extra on a turbo EF Falcon (brothers car).
Toyota Supra 1jz MS2extra, COP.
13B Turbo MS2extra.
Turbofreakdotcom
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Ok. The screenshot from earlier was from work on a blank project with MS2 selected so please ignore. When I got home it shows different paddle inputs with a real project with MS attached and configured.
Options are a little strange with lots on "n/a #". I will be using a (1) wire variable voltage paddle setup, example DOWN = 1.3 volts and UP = 3.5 volts.
Options are exactly as shown with "MS2" selected under [Base Settings] [Hardware in use]:

[Paddle Input]
PE0 (this will be my PADDLE ENABLE switch)
PE1 (where is this located?)
JS11 (this is my BRAKE input per diagram)
n/a 8
n/a 9
CLT (CLT info via CAN components may have been omitted)
TPS (TPS info via CAN components may have been omitted)
n/a 12
n/a 13
n/a 14
n/a 15

What are the "n/a" inputs? Are these actual usable inputs?
Are the CLT and TPS inputs available to use for paddles if pulling those from ECU? I may have omitted those circuits due to use of CAN option.
Updated 6/20/18:
MS2 ECU
MS2 Trans controller
Turbofreakdotcom
Experienced MS/Extra'er

I found the I/O summary on the MS2. Appears PE1 is out of the question since it's digital in. If I'm out of analog inputs, can the CLT or TPS circuits be used for paddles if using CAN to ECU?
Updated 6/20/18:
MS2 ECU
MS2 Trans controller
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Turbofreakdotcom wrote:can the CLT or TPS circuits be used for paddles if using CAN to ECU?
Yes
TTR Ignition Systems
Turbofreakdotcom
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Again, thank you guys very much for your help so far....
Very late night completing the controller. Unit is wired to the SEL/SOL board. Voltages and solenoid activation on each line works great on the bench. I bench tested the paddle circuit on TPS Pin 22 and confirmed I get roughly 1023 raw on adc 3 gauge with around 4.8 to 5.0 volts applied so I will use this for paddle shift.

A couple things I have found on the bench that seems to be different than the manual updated 2015-11-18:
SEL GAUGE....O2(A)__SPR3(B)__SPR4(C)
___0____________0_______1_______0
__-1____________0_______1_______1
___4____________1_______1_______0
___3____________1_______0_______0
___2____________0_______0_______0
___1____________0_______0_______1

The MS2 V3 pinout list in the manual show BRAKE and TPS is pin 27.
Updated 6/20/18:
MS2 ECU
MS2 Trans controller
Turbofreakdotcom
Experienced MS/Extra'er

I've been going over the 87 Toyota Supra wiring diagram and it seems the older models are a bit different with less contacts in the A340 transmission indicator switch.
R seems to be only attached to backup lights. A wire can be brought in to controller (if necessary though I'm sure really it isn't).
The stock TCU has 12 volts from N, 2, and L
OD1(4th) appears to be a 5 volt circuit to stock controller from the stock ECU, cruise control, and ABS if installed.
OD2 (LU) is from OD switch on shifter.
If all the SEL signals are necessary, newer A/T indicator switches from the 90's and 2000's may mechanically fit and a connector will be needed to carry all the signals. Though it seems easy enough to run it with 4th gear selector position set permanently and OD switch run some how to make lock up work.
I get the car back next week so the following week I will start the work on removing the Suprastick controller and installing the MS2 controller and I will post the changes.
Updated 6/20/18:
MS2 ECU
MS2 Trans controller
Turbofreakdotcom
Experienced MS/Extra'er

The paddle shift circuit is working now using JS7 for enable and TPS for shift. Is it possible to add a selective option to return to 1st gear when MPH drops below a certain point while in Manual mode?
Updated 6/20/18:
MS2 ECU
MS2 Trans controller
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Yes. In TS in the Trans Controller settings, set [Automatic / Manual mode] to "Manual - selectable"; obviously, you'll need a switch and a guard circuit going to the desired pin on the trans box. In the MS3 settings, set a Prog Out to trigger ON when VSS1 is above your desired minimum speed; this should drive a small N-channel Mosfet that is in the path of the switch.
TTR Ignition Systems
Turbofreakdotcom
Experienced MS/Extra'er

I'm think I'm having debounce issues with the paddle circuit. Attached is the MSQ and log. Upshift works...ok..., but downshift is giving me a hard time.
The paddle shift circuit is on the TPS line and has a 2K2 ohm pull down resistor.
Updated 6/20/18:
MS2 ECU
MS2 Trans controller