Any compatible Auto box with removable belhousing?

'Microsquirt' Transmission Control development and support.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

db2k
MS/Extra Newbie

Any compatible Auto box with removable belhousing?

Post by db2k »

I am trying to locate an automatic (longitudinal) gear box that I can remove the stock bell housing and bolt up to a custom bell housing. And obviously should have be electronically actuated.

One of the compounding factors is I'm in the UK, so likely to be less choice available.

Can anyone give any suggestions, either by gearbox part or host vehicle?

Many thanks.
Project build blog; www.xj40-morrigan.co.uk
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Any compatible Auto box with removable belhousing?

Post by DaveEFI »

Late ZF 4HP22 are electronic control. Early ones cable. They have a removable bell housing.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

The Toyota A340e has a removable bellhousings
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

Anyone know of a 5 speed for RWD with removable bellhousing too? For up to 250 ft.lb torque. That MS can control.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

Not sure about any 5 speeds but most newer 4L60-Es have a bolt on bell housing
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

prof315 wrote:Not sure about any 5 speeds but most newer 4L60-Es have a bolt on bell housing
Thing is the car I'd like to change has a very good 3 speed. My other car is a BMW with 5 speed ZF, which to me is d*** near as good as I'd ever want. So if going to the effort of fitting a different box to the earlier car which is going to be a lot of work, I'd rather go for something I know to be good. The 5HP ZF would be good - but would need mechanical mods beyond my facilities.

The old car has a GM TH180 with removable bellhousing. Being in the UK, most newer cars don't use GM anymore - most now ZF. And no GM made large RWD in the UK anyway. If I was certain there was a GM box - preferably 5 or more speed - which would fit the TH 180 bellhousing with doable mods, I'd even attempt to source one from abroad.

Sorry to semi hijack the thread - but all this may also help the OP.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
db2k
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by db2k »

No problem, all options considered, the engine i want the box for is going to take years to build, but i'd like to fit it into the car i'm designing as the current project. Hence looking now, then I can source one and measure it up, give it an overhaul and stick it on a shelf.
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

Lots of newer BMWs use a Hydramatic (GM) 5L40E...... not sure if the bell housing is removable or nor though. You may also want to look into Opels as they also use Hydramatic transmissions.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

OP is in the UK. Not sure of today, but my older BMW had a GM box in the US, but ZF in the UK and most of the rest of the world. It also had a different engine - all ally in the UK, cast iron block in the US. The GM box was also a 4 speed, while the ZF a 5, so I never did see the sense in that.

Obviously if a suitable box did exist in the US rather than UK, it might be worth importing one. But only as a last resort. :D
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

The Vauxhall Omega used a 4L30E which looks like it is a GM180 with a 4th gear stuck on the front. The bellhousing is integral with the pump and the box isn't supposed to be too great.

Bellhousing adapter plates aren't impossible. I've seen TH350 on the back of Rover V8s.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

The ZF 4HP22 is an east fit to the Rover V-8 as it was used on both Range Rover and RWD only Sherpa ambulances, etc, with the RV8. And can cope with the largest versions too - unlike the TH180. Snag is the bell housing is very deep - the TC is spaced off the driveplate - to suit the 4x4 layout. Which means it won't fit most saloons, without bodywork mods. I've wondered about having an adapator plate made - but would have to draw it, and have no idea how you get an accurate centre for engine and box. :oops: And of course that would also tend to push the box back towards the bulkhead.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
db2k
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by db2k »

I'm not likely to find any modern gear boxes to fit the engine (RR FB60, bell housing bolt up plate is integral part of the block casting) gearbox would have been a Originally Borg-Warner Model 8, 3-speed.

The head and internals are scrap but the block is nice, so i'll design a new cylinder head for it using modern OHC setup.

Which is why a bell housing adaptor is unlikley to be a viable option (wont be able to measure up the bolt pattern for a month) , hence a new bellhousing to suit, or modify the old bellhousing to the new gearbox.
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

jsmcortina wrote:The Vauxhall Omega used a 4L30E which looks like it is a GM180 with a 4th gear stuck on the front. The bellhousing is integral with the pump and the box isn't supposed to be too great.
Cheers James, hope things are well for you!

I'm currently running an old piece of crap BMW 328i with that 4L30e, and I'm actually enjoying it so far. I was just curious if you knew enough about the controls of it to know if it would be simple to adapt from the 4L80e or 4L60e wiring schemes to operate it? I'm thinking not, since it appears outwardly to have little in common with the other transmissions, but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. If you don't know off the top of your head, please don't put any effort into looking into it, I can do that later if necessary.

Thanks!

Thad
--'98 Dodge Neon ACR Turbo - MS3 beta test car - Sold
--'97 BMW 540i/6spd - Single Front/Top Mount Turbo 550+ HP - MS3+MS3X V3.0 - Sold but ripping in Vegas
--'97 BMW 328i 5.3 L33/TH400 Swapped drift car - MS3+MS3X V3.0 Full Sequential - Turbos And Radiator In the Trunk 9.6@144 on a 1.55 60ft
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

I kept part of the internals of the one I had. It looked to have fairly standard solenoids in common with the bigger gearboxes. So I'd think it could be supported.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

Good to know, thanks James!!
--'98 Dodge Neon ACR Turbo - MS3 beta test car - Sold
--'97 BMW 540i/6spd - Single Front/Top Mount Turbo 550+ HP - MS3+MS3X V3.0 - Sold but ripping in Vegas
--'97 BMW 328i 5.3 L33/TH400 Swapped drift car - MS3+MS3X V3.0 Full Sequential - Turbos And Radiator In the Trunk 9.6@144 on a 1.55 60ft
magaiverbrasil
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by magaiverbrasil »

I am assembling a megashift for gm omega 1997 with 4l30 gearbox, I would like to know if anyone has used this configuration, or if the 4L60 basemap file works with the 4l30 gearbox.

are the pwm settings of the oil pressure solenoids the same at all shifts?
Vw Santana AP 2.0 - MSII PCB3.0 Extra 3.2.1