Feature request: Don't unlock TC if...

'Microsquirt' Transmission Control development and support.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Philip Lochner
Super MS/Extra'er

Feature request: Don't unlock TC if...

Post by Philip Lochner »

I'm not sure if this needs to be a feature request or if my config is just wrong or if I don't understand how to implement....

I was driving down mountain passes with my Jensen Interceptor recently (on a 3700km road trip :D ) and every time I get off the throttle completely, she unlocks TC, then one could feel the car surge forward as the braking effect of running against compression was reduced - something I did not want - which then caused me to have to apply brakes.

I would like to have it such that the TC remains locked (if it was locked) even with 0 throttle above a specified speed, at least for 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears.
Kind regards
Philip
'74 Jensen Interceptor 440ci (EFI'ed with MS2 and wasted spark + GM 4L60e GPIO controlled - both on Extra FW)
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Re: Feature request: Don't unlock TC if...

Post by muythaibxr »

The behavior you're describing as to how it's currently working is more or less how every auto I've driven works, though I can see why you'd want it to stay locked up.
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
Philip Lochner
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Philip Lochner »

muythaibxr wrote: though I can see why you'd want it to stay locked up.
Its simply to retain the maximum effect of engine braking while going down a steep hill. Although not quite as severe its a bit like popping it into neutral when the TC unlocks, in that it starts gaining speed - exactly what you do NOT want, the very reason your foot is off the accelerator. Also, there is no NEED for it to unlock under these circumstances - at least not that I can see.

It would be no different to having a manual in gear with foot off the accelerator and engine providing maximum engine braking.
Kind regards
Philip
'74 Jensen Interceptor 440ci (EFI'ed with MS2 and wasted spark + GM 4L60e GPIO controlled - both on Extra FW)
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

Yeah, I am agreeing with you but just adding that most stock autos that I have driven also unlock the converter in the same situation.
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
Philip Lochner
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Philip Lochner »

muythaibxr wrote: most stock autos that I have driven also unlock the converter in the same situation
That might be but I fail to understand why....

Also, "stock autos" also do some fantastically inexplicable things. My '14 Ford Ranger eg refuses to shift into 3rd unless rpms > 2100 for any amount of throttle when it could very well have shifted at much lower revs at light throttle. Irritates the life out of me!!

I realise that TransControl FW is a very low priority and that requests like this(and no timing retard for downshift) are unlikely to get attention.

Still hoping though. :)
Kind regards
Philip
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Raymond_B »

My 2012 F-150 has a pretty cool "tow/haul" mode. I used this on a trip up the East coast and back towing a trailer loaded with car parts. When engaged you cannot tell anything until you begin to brake, it takes a moment and then the truck would come out of overdrive, hold the brakes longer and it would go down one more gear. The up-shifts were delayed as well. This provided great engine braking while going down several 4-5% grades.
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
http://www.buildpics.org/
devojet
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by devojet »

I have my "lock up min tps" set to 0.0% and it stays locked up until I touch the brakes or drop below min speed. Im using lock up in 3rd and 4th. Im pretty sure Im using release version 1.0 so not sure if the behaviour has changed or not.

Cheers
Daniel.
26 Chev hotrod with a 1UZFE and MS3x, Flex fuel, GPIO Transmission control and LCDash.
Twin turbo LS3 powered Race boat with MS3pro and GPIO.
MS2 on a 22r in a Hilux (mates car).
MS2extra on a turbo EF Falcon (brothers car).
Toyota Supra 1jz MS2extra, COP.
13B Turbo MS2extra.
Philip Lochner
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Philip Lochner »

devojet wrote:I have my "lock up min tps" set to 0.0% and it stays locked up until I touch the brakes or drop below min speed. Im using lock up in 3rd and 4th. Im pretty sure Im using release version 1.0 so not sure if the behaviour has changed or not.

Cheers
Daniel.
Thanks!! I'll check my config.
Kind regards
Philip
Philip Lochner
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Philip Lochner »

Philip Lochner wrote:
devojet wrote:I have my "lock up min tps" set to 0.0% and it stays locked up until I touch the brakes or drop below min speed. Im using lock up in 3rd and 4th. Im pretty sure Im using release version 1.0 so not sure if the behaviour has changed or not.

Cheers
Daniel.
Thanks!! I'll check my config.
I checked my config and "Lockup min TPS is already set to 0%". I lowered the RPM thresholds from 1400 t0 1100 but could you please post a screenshot of you config or attach your msq?
Kind regards
Philip
devojet
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by devojet »

Here is my msq.
26 Chev hotrod with a 1UZFE and MS3x, Flex fuel, GPIO Transmission control and LCDash.
Twin turbo LS3 powered Race boat with MS3pro and GPIO.
MS2 on a 22r in a Hilux (mates car).
MS2extra on a turbo EF Falcon (brothers car).
Toyota Supra 1jz MS2extra, COP.
13B Turbo MS2extra.