line pressure map switching in manual mode

'Microsquirt' Transmission Control development and support.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

timiacobucci
MS/Extra Newbie

line pressure map switching in manual mode

Post by timiacobucci »

I am wondering what specifically would be involved to have alternative line pressure curves or possibly a constant line pressure when switched to manual shift mode?

In trying to understand the difference in response time between electronic paddle shifting and a full manual valve body I believe one of the potentially large differences is the fixed line pressure used in most manual valve body designs. If there was a way to replicate that aspect while in full manual mode while preserving the full auto line pressures I think it would be a very useful enhancement to the manual shift mode.

I realize a simple work around would be to have a relay active off the switch for manual mode to disconnect the epc solenoid and default to full line pressure. I think a software solution with adjustability would be a bit more elegant though.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: line pressure map switching in manual mode

Post by jsmcortina »

I'm not sure you really need that?

I presume that you would be using full-manual in race conditions with the throttle planted. You can adjust the line pressure curves to give you full pressure at wide open throttle. This should give you the same effect?

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
timiacobucci
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: line pressure map switching in manual mode

Post by timiacobucci »

I guess you don't really need it obviously, but do you really need manual mode at all in that case? I am not sure if it would make that much of a difference, hopefully I will have mine running before too long here and I will try to get some datalogs and see how much of a difference there is with different line pressure vs shift time. I kind of hate just asking for stuff without contributing something meaningful.

As far as wot shifting, no that's not really what I was thinking at all. I mean if that was all you needed it for then full auto could probably be tuned to do a better job anyways. My thinking was decelerating into a corner, that is probably one of my biggest gripes about autos is that you are never in the right gear coming out of a corner and you need to wait for the upshift after you've started adding throttle back on the exit. The other thing in drag racing is if you spin and need to pedal it, you will generally trigger an upshift too fast when you let off so using full manual in that situation can help. Under that circumstance the throttle position and subsequent line pressure in the transmission could be variable as well. There may be others but just off the top of my head those are two situations where you would desire a fast manual shift at less than full throttle making the default line pressure tune inappropriate.

It's nothing pressing, like I said I will test to see how much of a difference it could really make but if it turns out it does I just thought it could be a pretty cool addition to the controller where most manually shifted autos generally sort of suck.