Feature Request for Programmable Output(s).

'Microsquirt' Transmission Control development and support.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jesse408
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Feature Request for Programmable Output(s).

Post by jesse408 »

I'm just gonna throw this idea out there (possibly for a future release) so that the unused output channels on the Microsquirt TCU can be used as programmable on/off output(s) for a trans cooler, etc. I envision something similar to the MS2 Programmable Output screen where a relay can be switched on/off based on maybe two conditions. That would be wonderful.
Thanks.
acab
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Feature Request for Programmable Output(s).

Post by acab »

+100500!

I want too some outputs. Like speed based, for example ON/OFF Haldex AWD
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

MS3 has that now under <Advanced Engine> <Generic PWM A...>

I use it for all sorts of things.

You can hear where I use it in this video to control shift buzzers.

Here is how I set that up

http://www.nbs-stl.com/CRX/Shift%20Timi ... 0Setup.png

You can also go this direction. Under <Advanced Engine> <Programmable Outputs>

http://www.nbs-stl.com/miata/Dump_BOV.JPG

Hope this helps

Andy
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

The OP was talking about Programmable outputs on board the microsquirt transmission controller itself. Kind of like giving the TCU a bit of IO box functionality.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
jesse408
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jesse408 »

Since the Microsquirt was originally designed to use these extra LED pins as outputs, I sort of just naturally expected that these pins would still be usable as outputs on the TCU :shock:
LSXCutty
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by LSXCutty »

That would be great. I also think there's a few 0-5v inputs that could be used if getting data via can from an ms3.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

jesse408 wrote:I sort of just naturally expected that these pins would still be usable as outputs on the TCU :shock:
Nothing "just happens" the software has to be written. Those pins are still outputs - for solenoids. The 4L80E doesn't need that many solenoids so they aren't used.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Don't take this the wrong way, but you already have the software working very well for programmable outputs on MS2 and uS. I totally respect that there is work that needs doing and don't under value that. Still I can only see this as an enhancement to the TCU that should in no way take away from any of the other products as the TCU is it's own product.
A stand alone product that can work with a carby car, if so desired.
Cheers Luke
jesse408
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jesse408 »

Every other MS product made has programmable outputs right?
If somebody were to purchase an MS3X for a Harley V Twin engine, surely you wouldn't disable all of the other ignition output hardware in the code and all the other injector output channels simply because he only needs two of each of them, right? He still bought all of the same hardware as the guy with the Big Block Chevy who will be using all 8 of those ignition and injector outputs did he not?
Not trying to rustle any jimmies here, just trying to understand the thought process.
Is there a large cost involved with this programming or is it a simple copy and paste of the existing Programmable output code that is already in MS2 and MS3? What kind of a donation would be necessary for the time it takes to make this type of a feature a reality?
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

If I'm not mistaken the unused I/O of the trans controller may be used as CAN I/O when connected to an MS3.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Raymond_B »

I could be way wrong here, but I think Jame's point is that the Trans Control firmware has to accommodate as many transmissions as possible so those pins in applications other than yours would be used for solenoid functions. So basically they aren't "free" or otherwise available. I am no software/hardware engineer, but it seems to me a lot of work would be required to optionally decouple them depending on the trans the Microsquirt is controlling.

Having said that I totally get the point you guys are trying to make, and it would be a very nice option to have.
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
http://www.buildpics.org/
jesse408
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jesse408 »

If I'm not mistaken the unused I/O of the trans controller may be used as CAN I/O when connected to an MS3
I wonder what the CAN settings would look like to enable the unused pins as Switchable Programmable Outputs on MS2.
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

I don't think you can use them already. In Ms3 I have not seen the option in any drop down menu for using the tranny spares. It would be separate just like the I/o box is

I want to say leave the tranny controller as is, a tranny controller. Open the unused up for this and suddenly more is asked for, with the impression it was easy. We have an unused vr input iirc, and that will want to be used for traction control input

I've asked if the unused coolant temp can be used for logging purposes about year ago to monitor oil temp only as well along with other inputs for logging
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
jesse408
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jesse408 »

So you still cannot log those extra channels?
jesse408
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jesse408 »

The MS2 has an option for Programmable Switched CAN outputs. I just think you need to know the right CAN ID and port info to see the Microsquirt hardware, right? You need to know the correct CAN ADC info to be able to see and log the Microsquirt's ADC's right?
The MS2 is the Master here...NOT the Microsquirt TCU. The Microsquirt TCU is the Slave.
Am I wrong in my thinking here?

If the Microsquirt isn't capable, then what about Jeans TinyIOX? Can't the extra outputs on it be switched from an MS2's Programmable Switched Outputs screen via CAN if you enter the correct CAN ID and Port info? You should also be able to see and log the ADC inputs on the TinyIOX as well.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Yes you can do this with the TinyIOx because it is designed to be a CAN I/O extender with the code and settings to do it.

The trans controller is not and while you may want to request that this be changed, there are good reasons not to do so from the developer's point of view (think coding (and no there is no free code even if the feature exists somewhere else), maintenance, support, documentation). Making sure there are no conflicts with the intended purpose of the code (trans controller) and nice-to-have features is not always easy and requires more testing and the possibility of breaking the main code and you can make it more confusing for the majority of users.

I should add that those saying it is easy might want to add the code themselves and if they can't then they are in no position to say it is easy or not. Requesting new features is fine but then complaining when it is not done is not productive. It is probable that spending any effort on the code is better done for supporting more transmissions (but I'm not the code developer so I don't know the actual reason and will not speculate any further).

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

The request was not for can i/o. The TCU is not dependent on connection to any other MS product. As I see it a stand alone TCU, if possible, should be able to operate a trans cooler fan and or maybe an overtemp lamp. Fluid temperature is one of the most important factors for transmission life.
I have seen James say no and shut down requests plenty of times before. Debate does not ensue when that occurs. I am hoping this is still under consideration.
Cheers Luke
jesse408
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jesse408 »

Sorry if I offended anyone.
I don't understand the code.
I can tweak an existing .ini to my needs, but code is something I don't quite understand. It looks like LOTS of work.
I'm simply digging for solutions to this.
I can always get some other hardware to deal with my issues.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

jesse408 wrote:Is there a large cost involved with this programming or is it a simple copy and paste of the existing Programmable output code that is already in MS2 and MS3? What kind of a donation would be necessary for the time it takes to make this type of a feature a reality?
To add this feature would cost in the region of $300.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
jesse408
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jesse408 »

Thanks for your reply.
That does sound like a substantial amount of work...more than I am willing to support single handedly.