Aisin A442 and A450 control possible?

'Microsquirt' Transmission Control development and support.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Roloside
MS/Extra Newbie

Aisin A442 and A450 control possible?

Post by Roloside »

These transmissions use the same solenoid pattern as the Aisin A340 series, but they have 4 solenoids instead of 3. The 4th solenoid is the timing solenoid. So far what I can find on the timing solenoid is: "The timing solenoid is used for the
1–2 upshift, the 2–3 upshift, and the 3–2 downshift. Its purpose is to control the orifice of the 2nd brake, which reduces shift shock."

What information about the timing solenoid is required to control these transmissions?

Thanks!
Roloside
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Aisin A442 and A450 control possible?

Post by Roloside »

Can anyone offer a suggestion for making this work?
xetura
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by xetura »

I've got a 93 Land Cruiser that I'm looking to turbo with Megasquirt and would like to know this as well. The A442F can be ran fully hydraulic(minus the overdrive, but I think a simple switch would work for this), but the shift points when the 'etc" button(electronically controlled) is pressed are much more ideal for a turbo application and I'd prefer to have it ran electronically controlled. I'd also like to stick to 100% Megasquirt ecu's.
Heidmar2
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Heidmar2 »

I am going to install this ecu in my 100 series and i am wondering if anyone has found out if we need to use this timing solenoid or if we can skip it ??
BoostBuggy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by BoostBuggy »

It appears that the old GPIO firmware can do this. I have been looking into it since the Subaru 4EAT also uses a timing brake for certain gears.

The "official" controller erroneously lists a Mitsubishi transmission as a Subaru so I have no choice but to use the GPIO setup.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

BoostBuggy wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:37 pm It appears that the old GPIO firmware can do this. I have been looking into it since the Subaru 4EAT also uses a timing brake for certain gears.
Is the "timing brake" the same as the "back fill solenoid" ? That is supported.
The "official" controller erroneously lists a Mitsubishi transmission as a Subaru so I have no choice but to use the GPIO setup.
Weird that nobody has mentioned this before.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
BoostBuggy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by BoostBuggy »

This can go in the Subaru thread that I'd started, but to clarify:
The baked-in controller lists a "Subaru W4A33". Subaru did not make a W4A33, however Mitsubishi did.
The baked-in gear ratios are completely different from anything Subaru made. It lists a 2.55/1.49/1.0/.69 with a 3.5:1 final drive, Subarus have several different options for final drive and gear ratios but none correlate to that.
The solenoid pattern is the same but only lists two solenoids, Subaru has a couple different extra ones to control: "2-4 brake duty solenoid", "2-4 brake timing solenoid", and "low clutch timing solenoid". I still need to scope a vehicle to determine if these are powered momentarily during the shift or if they are kept on. I gather that the last one is used to enable or disable engine braking.
The gear position indicator per the PDF has three forward positions and an OD switch. Subaru have four discrete positions. (Or in some cases, one position and a up/down manual gate)

There is also nothing to control the center differential/rear output: some have center diffs with a locking clutch, others just have a clutched interconnect to the front output, but either way it needs to be controlled. At least for the type that has a center differential, the solenoid actively disengages the clutch, leaving it unpowered will lock the two axles together to the limits of the clutch. (It is a planetary center differential with a computer controlled clutch pack)

Believe me I would much rather use the Microsquirt controller, but after reading the PDF and looking at the tables available, I didn't get a good feeling.
Heidmar2
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Heidmar2 »

I am going to give it a try. I have 2000mdl 100 series with 1hdfte and A422f transmission
I have soldered wires inline with the stock ecu so i can measure and note down the operation of the stock ecu.

So far i have only measured the line pressure solenoid and it is operated on 282Hz and is at 52% duty at idle and 29% when stalling at maximum linepressure. I have yet to try it while driving. And the gear shift solenoids are operated on pure on off signal..

Also the Ecu starta up and gives full power even tho the stock trans ecu is disconnected so it should work with the microsquirt.
Heidmar2
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Heidmar2 »

I have currently hooked the microsquirt up but the only thing i have left is to get the gearpositioning to work. I could make up the board illustrated in the manual or use a tps from a honda accord with throttlecable wich gives 0-5volts depending og how much the lever pulls the cable. But the gear position table is only available in
E4od analog
W4a33
4r44e
4r70w
But is grayed out in the A341 and jeep AW4
Is it possible to have a 0-5volt sensing for the gearposition in the A341 settings .??
Heidmar2
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Heidmar2 »

It s driving. :D I just hotwired the shifter for now. Only thing i bought was the highside driver and the micro tcu :) rest is just wiring and map scaling.
Below is a video of the first set of shift points done in about 15 minutes so they will have to be fine tuned
Also with this transmission lockup is available in 2nd-3rd and 4th wich is awesome
https://youtu.be/-93njX4XUrs
xetura
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by xetura »

Heidmar2 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:04 am It s driving. :D I just hotwired the shifter for now. Only thing i bought was the highside driver and the micro tcu :) rest is just wiring and map scaling.
Below is a video of the first set of shift points done in about 15 minutes so they will have to be fine tuned
Also with this transmission lockup is available in 2nd-3rd and 4th wich is awesome
https://youtu.be/-93njX4XUrs
Wow, this is awesome! I'm very interested in how you got this all working.