Mid Engine project using ZF 5HP19

'Microsquirt' Transmission Control development and support.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

MidEng64
MS/Extra Newbie

Mid Engine project using ZF 5HP19

Post by MidEng64 »

Hello,

First time poster to the Mshift forum..
I have searched the Mshift post and the closest I have come to info on the 2005 ZF 5HP19 is the ZF 4HP and some mention of the 6HP. I thought there was a post of someone that used the FWD/AWD ZF 5HP19 in his project but his engine blew and the post died. Shame, I wanted to pick his brain and try to get as much info as he ad to this point. But I can find the post, so I'm starting this one.

For those that don't know the ZF is used in the Audi, VW, Porsche and BMW. Not to be confused with the name "Tiptronic" because that opens up a whole other can of worms. But the ZF comes in several forms. FWD, RWD Transaxle, AWD and as in the BMW a regular longitudinal like the 4L60 and 4L80 in the GM cars. Internal parts for the ZF are almost the same and the valve bodies are the same as well. The only difference for the most part is the AWD and rebuild kit comes with more seals and gaskets for the addition of the output shaft.

My 5HP19 is from a 05 Boxster.
My 1st plan was to get a stand alone form a company call PCS because it was suggested in the Porsche forums. And they really don't like automatics on that side of the house.. LOL
PCS can makes a stand alone unit and they even make ECU's and TCU/TCM's for all the major auto makers.. BUT... They can provide the firmware for any Porsche automatics with their stand alone TCM.

My 2nd plan was to get a used TCM from an 05 to 08 Boxster/Cayman and try to get the firmware off ff of that and use it with the PCS TCM. But that looks to be more difficult than it sounds.

My 3rd plan after finding out about MShift from a Jeep forum (of all places). I think that was because I was searching "Tiptronic Stand Alone TCM's" on line. The plan is to try and go the MShift route. Aside from using a error code reader/delete program on my laptop for my 2000 GM Truck and 05 GTO to read and clear codes. I really have no hands on experience with the ECU's or TCM's. Well I have helped connect up a few and they were really PnP. Green colored connector to green plug and so on. And the ole' process of elimination. You have that one connection left and search for where it goes.

I want to be more smart about this and know what is needed and why. Electronic things don't scare me and I have built some unrelated gadgets here and there.
If this post goes anywhere I will gladly start a thread to share this Mshift side venture and my project.

I have also looked at the info on the MShift. Still not sure where to get started. Do I get a an MShift and the code and something to work in and modify the code? Do I need the MS 1, MS 2, or MS 3 and add the MShift components or the MSgpio?

So take me to school Ole' Master Jedi's. Pick my brain, ask away, point me on the path of enlightenment.

Sorry for the long post..
Thx,
Kevin
"Were it not for a question, we would still be living in the stone age!"
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Mid Engine project using ZF 5HP19

Post by DaveEFI »

Just a comment on the 5HP19. I've had three cars with it - the current one being a Boxster. And the software on that is awful compared to my earlier BMW E39 528.
It's OK when driving fast. But in town, changes gear far more than needed for such a light powerful car. Almost as if the programmer only bothered with sports 'mode' (which it selects automatically) That might be OK is it made it use less petrol in town, but it's no better than the E39.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
MidEng64
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Mid Engine project using ZF 5HP19

Post by MidEng64 »

Thanks for the reply,

I have been looking into the OEM programming for those ZF 5HP19 in the Porsche Boxster & Cayman.
The write up for the TCM programming makes it seem like the dang thing will cook breakfast for you. But I won’t need all of that. And there have been so many variants on the firmware that I want a fresh start. Not to mention in the current configuration in the Boxster’s and Cayman’s you need some special programmer and readers to just access the programming.

They are good transmissions and stock can handle the torque of a stock to mild LS motor. Which works for the crazy project I have in mind! But they are attention hogs when it comes to maintenance. Meaning the ATF fluid needs to be changed regularly as well as the filter. I think Porsche says like every 80K or 90K (could be mistaking on the exact intervals). But the Boxster and Cayman guys say they do theirs every 40k to 50K and they have no issues to speak of. In fact they also say that a lot of the issues stem from using non specified AFT or improper maintenance and or improper refilling the transmission to its proper level. A flushing is also recommended due to instances where sediment can build up in the valve body. It is a process for sure..

So ditching the OEM TCM programming is my reasoning for wanting to try the MShift/MegaSquirt approach. I figure, that way I can get running without the extra bells and whistles and go from there.
I believe I read that the Tap-to-Shift is actually built into the firmware. That would be nice to keep that aspect. Aside from that, it is an electronic transmission (basically a big hydraulic pump) that only knows what the programMing tells it should do. I just need a starting point…

CHEERS,
"Were it not for a question, we would still be living in the stone age!"