AODE/4R70W Analog Issues *Fixed*

'Microsquirt' Transmission Control development and support.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: AODE/4R70W Analog Issues (requires code correction)

Post by ashford »

i think that he is complaining that the toggle switch settings are greyed out. james, if you have questions on ford trans i can probably answer them.
a few things i can point out
1. 4r70w can swap out mlps sensors( gear position switches) between analog and digital since they are external.
2 most ford rwd 4 speed trans have a 1-2-od-n-r-p shift pattern with an od cancel button ie 4r70, aode, 4r75, e4od and older 4r100.
3 to the best of my knowledg all digital mlps have the same logic. just that the few that have 4 selectable forward gears have an extra data point.
4. beta 2 is needed for digital mlps on 4r70 earlier versions have wrong input pattern
5. the last design of 4r75w has a turbine sensor, i have it hooked up on mine
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by wes kiser »

It has been nearly two years since I have used it, but 4r70w worked fine with me. I believe I was the person that let James know the button is OD cancel, not OD enable. Button worked for us.

We were also Digital TRS, although I think in both variants an OD cancel button was expected.
86 Rx-7, swapped to 2.3 ford turbo (BW EFR 6758), ms3/ms3x sequential fuel /waste spark, ls2 coils
88 Tbird 2.3t, Microsquirt Module (PIMP), TFI ignition
64bit
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 64bit »

I've been away for a little while, but I managed to get some time in with the 1.0.2beta2 firmware. It seems as though my wild VSS reading issues have gone away. OD control is now available, I just haven't wired it yet. Lockup seems to be working now that I added a 10ohm resistor to the circuit.
I just found the 1.0.2beta3 and I'll be giving it a run here this week.

James, did you add a filtering to the VSS circuit readout? Is there a way to make it openly adjustable like the filtering in my MS3?
1994 Mustang Cobra
351w Turbo w/MS3 GoldBox xTra
4R70W Analog w/ Microsquirt TCU
Kaw-a-holic
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Kaw-a-holic »

Is there an update on this post? I really don't want want to purchase a Micro for my E4OD without knowing it is going to work correctly.
64bit
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 64bit »

Kaw-a-holic wrote:Is there an update on this post? I really don't want want to purchase a Micro for my E4OD without knowing it is going to work correctly.
This post had nothing to do with the E4OD. My issue was specifically with the 4R70W code in firmware 1.0.1

I have since updated, but ive been too busy, and it's been to cold for me to do additional wiring and testing in my car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
1994 Mustang Cobra
64bit
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 64bit »

jsmcortina wrote:Yes it looks like TRANS_4R70WA needs to be included in that one line.

I think that a big part of the problem here is documentation. The manual doesn't mention that the OD button switch needs to connect to selector input D.
I could really do with more input from customers that have working installs to validate the manual. As far as I know only 4L80E and 4L60E have off the shelf wiring available, so the rest of these applications are presently DIY.

James
Any chance youll be producing a new beta where this line of code is enabled? This is putting a huge damper on a plug and play setup that I am trying to release for the SN95 5.0 automatic cars.
64bit wrote:I've been away for a little while, but I managed to get some time in with the 1.0.2beta2 firmware. It seems as though my wild VSS reading issues have gone away. OD control is now available, I just haven't wired it yet. Lockup seems to be working now that I added a 10ohm resistor to the circuit.
I just found the 1.0.2beta3 and I'll be giving it a run here this week.

James, did you add a filtering to the VSS circuit readout? Is there a way to make it openly adjustable like the filtering in my MS3?
I was wrong, It's still broken.
I thought the TCC LU needed a 50W 10ohm resistor (because of the low resistance TC Solenoid of the AODE), but it was easier to swap in a newer TCC solenoid.
VSS Fluctuations are terrible. There's got to be noise in my system somewhere... and its driving me crazy. Running 1K resistor on the VSS input, going to scope it tonight and figure out WTF is going on.
1.0.2beta 1, 2, and 3 all do not have a functional OD switch with trans selector D
Last edited by 64bit on Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
1994 Mustang Cobra
64bit
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 64bit »

Finally got all the bugs worked out of my laptop today. I *THINK* i have successfully compiled a revision to the firmware that should allow OD to work now. Going to test it tonight and see if it worked.

@jsmcortina

If there anywhere that I can post the edited source and .S19 file for other 4R70W users to access?
1994 Mustang Cobra
64bit
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 64bit »

Uploaded the firmware to my Micro last night. Havent had a chance to drive yet, but I'm very hopeful.

Grounding Pin 34 (Selector D) to Sensor Ground, now will cycle the indicator for Status1AND0x80OC.

Going to drive the car tonight and see if I can finally turn OD on and OFF.

OD Switch Operational 4R70WA.msl
OD Switch function testing.
(370.86 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
trans-pre1.0.2beta3mod.rar
Uploaded FW with Manuals removed for size.
(183.45 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
trans-pre1.0.2beta3mod-source.rar
Pre-1.0.2beta3 modded FW Source for 4R70WA and 4R70WS OD Switch function.
(114 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
1994 Mustang Cobra
64bit
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 64bit »

Comparing the old 4R70W OD test to the E4OD test from another post I made, showed that TCS.Status1 was non-responsive while 4R70WA was selected as the trans type.

The log taken last night shows that upon TCS.ADC5 input, TCS.Status1 changes. This should denote a change in the enable and disable of OD.

Tests to follow tonight.

4R70W OD cancel test.msl
old 1.0.2 beta 4R70WA OD Test
(253.21 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
e4OD OD cancel test.msl
old 1.0.2 beta E4OD OD test
(126.89 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
OD Switch Operational 4R70WA.msl
modded 1.0.2 beta 4R70W OD Test
(370.86 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
1994 Mustang Cobra
64bit
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 64bit »

:yeah!:

OD Switch works!!!
OD working.jpg
OD working.jpg (101.96 KiB) Viewed 2385 times
1994 Mustang Cobra
stanglx2002
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by stanglx2002 »

I have been keeping an eye on your thread as I am going to be putting in a 4R70W Transmssion in my foxbody with paddle shifters soon. Please keep updating as I want to see it work for you.
64bit
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 64bit »

Well, I just finished installing my GoldBox xTra with a full plug and play harness. I believe I sorted out the VSS fluctuations I was having. It took a much smaller resistor than I expected to install as a shunt, but I seem to still have good signal below 5mph, so we'll see how that works out on the next road test.

I have heard that the paddle shifters do not work properly with 1.0.2beta3. if that's the case, I may wire mine up and start playing with it.

Perhaps if that code gets fixed too, we can convince James to release a new firmware.

Only time will tell.
1994 Mustang Cobra
stanglx2002
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by stanglx2002 »

If you could play around with that I bet he would. I just got the steering wheel installed with the paddle shifters, so are ready for the transmission swap later this year.

What issues are you aware of?
64bit
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 64bit »

stanglx2002 wrote:If you could play around with that I bet he would. I just got the steering wheel installed with the paddle shifters, so are ready for the transmission swap later this year.

What issues are you aware of?
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 17#p522317
Re: Trans control release pre-1.0.2 beta3
Postby LSXCutty » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:44 pm

I found a Bug in the latest firmware. Paddle Shifting does no longer work for me in beta3. It does inable but holds the gear and will not shift by my buttons. I went back to the last stable version and it works again. My buttons send voltage to the TPS wire.
I have not looked into it, nor even have mine setup right now. but its on the list of things to do
1994 Mustang Cobra
stanglx2002
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by stanglx2002 »

I put a post in there as well to see if I can help push to get it working again.

I guess I need to dive back into the differences between the current version and beta as I may need to use the current firmware if I want to use paddle shifters.
64bit
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 64bit »

I'm going to edit the files I uploaded and detail my changes. I didn't do a good job of listing them.
1994 Mustang Cobra
stanglx2002
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by stanglx2002 »

64bit wrote:I'm going to edit the files I uploaded and detail my changes. I didn't do a good job of listing them.
That would be awesome and thank you in advance for doing so
Steven VanOrder
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Steven VanOrder »

I am getting ready to do my 4R70W install and was hoping to get some more insight on any issues you may have had and if they were resolved in the newest firmware??
Red0ktober
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Red0ktober »

wes kiser wrote:It has been nearly two years since I have used it, but 4r70w worked fine with me. I believe I was the person that let James know the button is OD cancel, not OD enable. Button worked for us.

We were also Digital TRS, although I think in both variants an OD cancel button was expected.
This is correct, it is an OD cancel button, not OD enable. The pre-1.1 beta2 firmware incorrectly reverses it.

Seems the OP was having an issue with the option not being available with a analog range selector, but it was working fine on my car with a digital range selector. I didn't get the impression that reversing the behavior was necessary/requested...
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Red0ktober wrote:I didn't get the impression that reversing the behavior was necessary/requested...
Clearly I did, or I wouldn't have changed it!
It may have been by email or PM, I forget.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".