MS3 Gold with microshift inside

'Microsquirt' Transmission Control development and support.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

babbit bearings
Helpful MS/Extra'er

MS3 Gold with microshift inside

Post by babbit bearings »

I think I have two issues after my initial test drives of a GM LS & 4l80e.

1. The attached log starts with the vehicle in park, but the VSS shows random MPH. I assume this is noise, even though the cable is shielded and the shielding is grounded on one end?
4l80e noise.png
2. At about 64.7 seconds, microshift correctly commands the transmission to shift from 2-3 at 20 mph, but at then a fault happens and the Selector POS goes from "4" to "-5", even though the shifter is still in "OD".

I assume a fairly high ohm resistor across the output shaft sensor wires will kill the noise, but I am not sure where to start on the Selector issue, and would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
Craig
babbit bearings
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Jake's D1 Brake first release

Just FYI.

Over 5 years ago I bought one of the fairly early versions of Jake's 4L80e D1 transbrake. After a lot of poking around looking for some sort of mistake I must have made... I contacted Jake and he informed me that the early version worked fine with OEM ecu's, but aftermarket ones like mine would get a fault code every time it shifted from 2-3 due to the method used to engage the brake... so Jake's upgraded my valve body to the newest revision, and they had it back to me in 3 days, I haven't had a chance to install it yet, but I fully expect it to resolve my fault code issues.

The noise issue however was not resolved by the 10K Ohm resistor in parallel: I tried 10,000, then 7500, 5000, 2500, 1000, and ended up at 750 ohms in order to kill the noise on the VSS when the car isn't moving.

Thanks
Craig
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: MS3 Gold with microshift inside

Post by jsmcortina »

So all working ok now?

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
babbit bearings
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3 Gold with microshift inside

The newer version of the D1 transbrake from Jakes works fine with my MS controller. It shifts correctly and the lockup works perfectly.

Comments to anyone considering the D1.

1. Minor internal modifications are required, installing the D1 really isn't possible without removal and at least partial disassembly of the transmission.
2. The D1 valve body eliminates shift accumulators, and only uses 4 check balls.
3. With a Circle D converter, the shifts are all very firm, with a stock torque converter they would probably feel too harsh.
4. The D1 valve body eliminates the line pressure control (it is a fixed line pressure design) so unless you make a few additional modifications, the line pressure in reverse is going to be very high.

One other comment: For some reason the trans brake release on my transmission is delayed, (let off the button and the brake doesn't release right away, it takes much longer than it should), but I assume that is because I have something else wrong with my transmission, because the release was late on my previous valvebody as well.