Chrysler 46RE trans control

'Microsquirt' Transmission Control development and support.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

auburncasey
MS/Extra Newbie

Chrysler 46RE trans control

Post by auburncasey »

I read through an earlier string on the Chrysler 41TE. I have a similar situation in that I have an early Chrysler Hemi coupled up to a Chrysler 46RE 4 speed O/D trans (A518E). The engine is controlled with a MS3X-V3.57 setup and the preferred method for trans control would be an MS product talking through the CAN bus. There are a few other options out there for trans control, but they are prohibitively expensive and I have no idea if they will communicate well with the MS3X.
I grew up around carbs and distributors. I'm not a coder and know just enough about tuning to be dangerous. There are thousands of this transmission series "out there". I'm hoping the gurus or the members of this forum (that may be redundant) can offer some advice on which product to use (Microsquirt, MSGIO, ??) and what code to use for starters. I'll spend the time and money to acquire the hardware and with some help from the forum try to get the trans under control. Matt Cramer said MS could own the market for standalone Chrysler trans controllers with a Microsquirt solution several years ago. I think the statement is still true today.

Looking for advice on where/how to start this journey................
steveh66
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Chrysler 46RE trans control

Post by steveh66 »

so all those 4*R* series are all the same from 42RE to 48RE.

4 stand for 4 speed
2 stand for torque capability of 2 to 8
R is for rear wheel drive
E is for electrically controlled ( H for Hydraulics)

Its basically a Hydraulic controlled 3 speed with a 4th gear and lock up. The electrically controll is mainly the governor pressure at 1 psi per MPH.

Read up on my other posts. I have this bench build and it should work. I did not like the staged approached for the governor pressure control and could not get support for this. Parked the project for a while now.

May just use a Hydraulic controlled one and the board for lock up and 4th gear.

Steve
Last edited by steveh66 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
440roadrunner
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 440roadrunner »

I'm not smart enough, wish someone would LOL

In the meantime you could put a manual valve body/ kit in the thing.
steveh66
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by steveh66 »

You probably don even need a manual kit in it, if you disconnect the governor it should go to the highest hydraulically operated gear which is 3. 1 and 2 could be manually selected. 4 (O/D) and TTC would be electrical.

Those transmissions are just a 727 with some bolt ones for 4th and lock up.

Steve
440roadrunner
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 440roadrunner »

steveh66 wrote:You probably don even need a manual kit in it, if you disconnect the governor it should go to the highest hydraulically operated gear which is 3. 1 and 2 could be manually selected. 4 (O/D) and TTC would be electrical.

Those transmissions are just a 727 with some bolt ones for 4th and lock up.

Steve
Are you sure that works?

I bought a 96? 97? Dodge 1500 I junked out, drove it home. It only had 3rd gear. Shifter position did not matter. When I pulled it apart "I thought" the transmission electrical connector was loose but it snapped apart and I was not sure.
steveh66
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by steveh66 »

I thought it should... But have never tried it. Will have to review the hydro schematics again.

You might be right as a disconnected gov will cause high gov pressure and that might prevent the down shift to the low gears (though the selector) preventing over rev.

Good point.

Steve
redrider2911
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by redrider2911 »

I am running a 47RH in my truck and I plan on completely supplying full line pressure to the governor circuit, and machining some "manifold blocks" to attach some solenoid dump valves to the governor plug side of the 1-2 and 2-3 shift valves. Then I will be able to fully control the transmission reliably and similarly to the GM trans. I just purchased a GPIO board and plan on using Megashift for the controller as it has more/better features for controlling the trans.