Air temp correction

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Panterluca
MS/Extra Newbie

Air temp correction

Post by Panterluca »

The problem i have is that when my air temp exceeds 47 degrees C the car leans out badly and idles worse hunting because its too lean. If i set the coolant related air density to iat correction and change the gauge to show the MAT temp the green dot is still following CLT so if i set my iat temps on the left to richen up at the temps that i want it does nothing. Now how can i fix this easily without being a computer programmer ? also why is there a default correction ? why can't it be that if i want it to correct off iat then it only obeys iat and ignores what the clt is ? i want to use my own temps and my own enrichment factors and don't want some default variable overriding what i want it to do. is this possible ? cause this is really getting irritating now, this whole things seems to be more complicated than it needs to be
panel
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by panel »

I have the same prob sometimes. Have a look here to see if this helps.

http://www.msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=25011
'65 VW Bus with a Subaru EJ20 Turbo conversion , Air to water I/C , LS coils , 14Point7 Spartan 2 & Solid Air Fuel Ratio 52mm gauge.
MS2 Extra V3.0 board
arnold
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by arnold »

any progress? I am in the same situation.... :?: :?:
Supercharged Austin Healey Sprite, Intercooler, spark control
MS1, MT2.25, extra code 029t
http://www.kmnet.demon.co.uk/arnold/
panel
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by panel »

arnold wrote:any progress? I am in the same situation.... :?: :?:
I still haven't gone that route. I think it might just be the heat soak from my air/water IC.
'65 VW Bus with a Subaru EJ20 Turbo conversion , Air to water I/C , LS coils , 14Point7 Spartan 2 & Solid Air Fuel Ratio 52mm gauge.
MS2 Extra V3.0 board
eliotmansfield
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Air temp correction

Post by eliotmansfield »

I have the same problem now the good weather has finally arrived in the UK. I tuned my cruise AFR for 15.5 in the winter (<25 ait), but i'm getting 16+ afr now ambient is hotter. And as others have said, it only happens as the inlet temperature gets over 35-40'c
Are we saying that we use the coolant correction feature, but select Correction based on "IAT Correction" - which means ignore coolant, just correct the denisity as it gets warmer?
Also, assuming mine gets leaner the hotter the inlet temp becomes, should i be increasing (110%) or reducing (90%) the factor?
Eliot Mansfield
5.7L Twin Turbo Dakar 4x4.
www.mez.co.uk
hassmaschine
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hassmaschine »

Unless I'm confused about what you guys are talking about - CLT correction is for engine warmup purposes. it's meant to richen up your mixture when the engine is cold, and turn off when the engine gets to operating temp. if you still have coolant based correction on when the engine is warm (generally between 70-80c), you need to retune that table so the correction reaches 100%.

IAT correction works alongside CLT correction. it's not an either/or situation (I didn't even know you could substitute IAT for CLT). If you are going lean at 30-40c, then you simply need to increase the correction in that part table. Some people say it's poor sensor position/heat soak - but my sensor is in the same location as OEM, and I need about 16% correction by 40c. I've seen others use up to 30%.
justins71
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by justins71 »

I had that problem - and tried to change it to MAT correction, but it was still reading from clt temp. Had to go into the .ini file and change the line:

[CurveEditor]
curve = clt_IATCorrC, "Coolant corrected Air Density, see Settings", 9
topicHelp = airdenHelp
columnLabel = "Temp", "Offset"
xBins = IATCTemp, mat <==change this, previously 'clt'
yBins = IATCorS
gauge = matGauge <== also change to this if it doesn't say this already

Hope this helps!
'95 Eclipse 420a
MS2-Extra Fuel & Spark
t3/t4b 16psi
eliotmansfield
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by eliotmansfield »

hassmaschine wrote:Unless I'm confused about what you guys are talking about - CLT correction is for engine warmup purposes. it's meant to richen up your mixture when the engine is cold, and turn off when the engine gets to operating temp. if you still have coolant based correction on when the engine is warm (generally between 70-80c), you need to retune that table so the correction reaches 100%.

IAT correction works alongside CLT correction. it's not an either/or situation (I didn't even know you could substitute IAT for CLT). If you are going lean at 30-40c, then you simply need to increase the correction in that part table. Some people say it's poor sensor position/heat soak - but my sensor is in the same location as OEM, and I need about 16% correction by 40c. I've seen others use up to 30%.
Agreed on the function of the CLT sensor, but they added a feature to use the CLT instead of AIT for certain situations, then I noticed that you could choose wether to correct against AIT or CLT, so I was wondering if this was a method of correcting the curve the AIT sensor? . Given its raining today, I think I will hook up the stim and see what it does.
I'm sure there has been a thread somewhere about how the std GM curve isn't quite correct or something...
Eliot Mansfield
www.mez.co.uk
eliotmansfield
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by eliotmansfield »

I made the changes to the INI file and it *does* allow you to enrichen or weaken the mixture as the AIT temperature rises. So i need to work out what % enrichment i need to correct when at higher temperatures. In theory, this should also solve my hot-restart leanness when the AIT is in the 40-50'c range.
Eliot Mansfield
www.mez.co.uk
eliotmansfield
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by eliotmansfield »

I configured this Yesterday and I works great. Not only does it get my cruise AFR's back to normal - its cured my hot (heatsoaked) restart problems. :D :D

Full write-up here:
http://www.mez.co.uk/ms15.html
Eliot Mansfield
www.mez.co.uk
justins71
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by justins71 »

Glad to hear it's workin for ya!
'95 Eclipse 420a
MS2-Extra Fuel & Spark