K3ve Daihatsu on MS3x

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Ruslan
MS/Extra Newbie

K3ve Daihatsu on MS3x

Post by Ruslan »

Can someone please help. What ignition setting do I need? These are the crank and cams teeth on my 4 cylinder Daihatsu K3ve engine. The engine has vvti, so the cam teeth will change their position relative to the crank when vvti is on. I have a MS3x.

Or what changes do I need to make to make my car run.

Thank you!!!ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ruslan
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: K3ve Daihatsu on MS3x

Post by Ruslan »

What I'm confused about is if megasquirt will be able to run with 3 teeth on the cam, or do I need to remove 2 teeth? As from what I was reading, megasquirt requires one tooth on the cam. But I'm still confused as I can't find the option of telling the ecu what the teeth in the cam are in relation to the engine position. Can someone please correct me as I'm being stupid

billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

For the crank, it looks like a 36-2, but because the two "missing teeth" actually have filled gaps, you may find that 36-3 is the proper setting. That is what I have found when filling teeth, 36-1 becomes 36-2, 60-2 becomes 60-3 (and yes, MS does accept 36-2 and 60-3 fine).

On the cam, do those three pins drive anything? The simple fool-proof way seems to be removal of two pins. If you didn't have VVT, then using poll-level and specify the best crank tooth to poll at seems like it would work, but with VVT the pin being looked for may move out of the target zone. Got it? I really don't know if it can be made to work as-is!
Ruslan
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Ruslan »

Thanks for reply!

The pins on the cam are just for the cam sensor and don't drive anything else. So if I remove 2 pins, and only have 1 pin left, will it still work with Vvti? This is the bit that confuses me as I can't seem to find an option in tuner studio to tell the ecu what the single pin is. So like the first cylinder on exhaust or intake stroke.

Ruslan
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Ruslan »

If I remove 2 teeth and only have 1 on the cam. Then when the cam passes the sensor btdc, megasquirt will think that the first cylinder is in compression. So it will fire the spark at the first cylinder.

And I must have the signal tooth pass the cam sensor before the engine reaches TDC? Is this correct?

billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I think it can work with that single cam pin, and it doesn't matter too much where that pin is, TS settings specify the crank/cam timing relation. My understanding is that the only place the cam pulse can not be is right in the missing-tooth gap of the crank signal. Again, I'm out of my element here, wait for somebody else to confirm or correct what I'm saying.
Ruslan
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Ruslan »

Thank you! I will try it again some time later as my engine needs to be completely stripped down as the first cylinder is filling up with oil. I rebuilt it recently so I don't know why it could have failed

billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Is it literally filling the cylinder with oil? My guess is that is a head gasket leak. The only other ways oil can get in is broken piston, bad rings, bad valve-stem seals, or the PCV system. I can't imagine how any of those could put enough oil into the cylinder to fill it. The pressure line taking oil up to the valves and cam, yeah that could do it...
Ruslan
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Ruslan »

I rebuilt the engine about a month ago it was great but then suddenly started smoking and misfiring on one cylinder. I first thought it was a blown head gasket, so I changed it and changed the valve stems (even though I put new ones in last month). I checked the pistons and they looked fine, there were no scores or anything on the walls, so I was sure it was a blown gasket. But after changing the gasket and stuff, it was still filling up with oil rapidly. So I will take the engine out and rebuild the lower end or swap it with something else