spam from forum

Do you need some help in using the forums? Any questions about using the forums can be asked here.
Contact a: System Administrator

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

risu
Helpful MS/Extra'er

spam from forum

Post by risu »

How can this happen? I thought my email address was hidden on my profile. Does my email address still show to people with forum subscriptions? I just got this email (with some attachment, virus etc, didn't check it):

from Bill Struble <bill>
to ******
sent 2.5.2007 13:14:46
subject Re: Marelli MAP? [ZONEALARM CHALLENGE]

Thank you for sending me your email with the subject "Marelli MAP?". I
really want to receive your email.

In an effort to eliminate junk email, I am using ZoneAlarm Security Suite.
ZoneAlarm Security Suite has placed your message on hold.

Please click the link below so you will be added to my Allowed people list,
I will receive your email, and we will be able to communicate freely going
forward.

<http>

If you can not click on the link above, copy and paste the URL above
directly into your browser.

A note from Bill:
Hi, this is Bill Struble. I really want to get your email so PLEASE take the
time to answer the question. I'm sorry I have to do this, but I get over 50
SPAM messages per day.

---------------------------------------------------
This mailbox protected from junk email by ZoneAlarm Security Suite
from Zone Labs http://www.zonelabs.com
Tiara Kit Car - MsnS-E
eliotmansfield
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by eliotmansfield »

as a forum email subscriber, i can see your actual email address (just forwarded the email back to you)
Eliot Mansfield
5.7L Twin Turbo Dakar 4x4.
www.mez.co.uk
risu
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by risu »

ok thanks, that explains.
Tiara Kit Car - MsnS-E
PSIG
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by PSIG »

Interesting - I do not get anyone's email address listed in the full header except megasquirt@msefi.com as the sender. I also receive the emails from Bill Struble (lots of them - apparently one for each thread he's watching) and I don't think it's each member's duty to get and send "I'm okay" emails to allow Bill to get his mail. Nothing against Bill, but he should not be a special case to thousands of MSers, nor should I be listed as the 'sender' when I post to a random MS forum.

Any way to rectify these issues?
bstruble
MS/Extra Newbie

Don't know whatt happened................

Post by bstruble »

I installed a new version of Zone Alarm and all hell broke loose with all the bounced emails (everywhere -- not just msefi stuff.) I have it turned off now, so if anyone gets any more junk, please ignore it unless it continues to be a problem. If it does, please advise me by PM and I will see if I need to do anything else. Sorry for the mess.

Bill Strulbe
PSIG
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by PSIG »

No sweat Bill. Unfortunately it was your ZA that highlighted a couple minor faults in the forum email system. Actually, my primary concern is me as the sender of forum thread posts, when a common source for harvesting addresses for spammers is forum mail like this. There is a good chance that at least one of the 14,000 members here is an email addy harvester (okay - maybe hundreds of them) and I'd like the forum emails to be 'sent' by MSExtra and not me. This would also prevent situations like your ZA caused.

Any chance of that Admin's?

Thanks for putting a leash on your ZA Bill. I love ZA myself (running 24/7) but it's a bit heavy-handed once in a while.

David
KariM
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by KariM »

PSIG wrote:Actually, my primary concern is me as the sender of forum thread posts
I noted this too when I subscripted the forum messages as email. Thats why I started using disposable email-address. If it got bad, I can easily assign a new address to my profile, and revert all emails to the old address to junk folder.

Anyhow, I have got none spam from this forum during one year when using this address. On the other hand, I have not posted much recently.