How do I gather live steaming data from MS3?

Do you need some help in using the forums? Any questions about using the forums can be asked here.
Contact a: System Administrator

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

MostHated
MS/Extra Newbie

How do I gather live steaming data from MS3?

Post by MostHated »

Hello all,
Let me start by saying this is just the research phase of what I am trying to do. I ordered my MS3 with MS3x, and it will be here Tuesday. In the mean time, I am trying to learn as much about the information that comes out of the Megasquirt as I can. Obviously the ECU outputs data, which is then read by tunerstudio, MSDroid, Shadow Dash, etc. Where can I find information on how to actually gather this data and use it for my own projects and learning? I know a bit of C# and want to try to make some simple applications just to learn how to take data from my MS3 and maybe make a gauge, or a graph, but unfortunately I have no idea really where to start.

Once I have my MS3 in front of me, and have it powered on, how can I go about receiving data from it, even if it is fake data, such as the RPM's going up and down. Is there a way to simulate actions on the MS3? Once those actions happen, how do you capture the raw data? Obviously I need to plug the ECU in to my laptop, but once that is plugged in, how can I see what is happening, do I need some sort of intermediary application to pull the data over usb? I know this all sounds very novice, but that is because it is. I want to try and learn from the ground up how to be able to take this data out of the ECU, read it, and display something from it, even if it is just a text output for now, I just don't even know where to start.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would extremely appreciate it!
Thanks,
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: How do I gather live steaming data from MS3?

Post by kjones6039 »

What are you trying to accomplish that can't already be done using TunerStudio and MegaLog Viewer?

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

if you want to see an MS working on the bench you'll need a Stim. A JimStim is best. That generates the sort of signals MS gets from the engine and sensors.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
MostHated
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by MostHated »

kjones6039 wrote:What are you trying to accomplish that can't already be done using TunerStudio and MegaLog Viewer?

Ken
Learning how to obtain and parse the data from Megasquirt myself and use it for something. No idea exactly what, I just want to know how to do it.
MostHated
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by MostHated »

DaveEFI wrote:if you want to see an MS working on the bench you'll need a Stim. A JimStim is best. That generates the sort of signals MS gets from the engine and sensors.
Ok awesome, thanks! Good to at least have a "point in the right direction".
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

MostHated wrote:
kjones6039 wrote:What are you trying to accomplish that can't already be done using TunerStudio and MegaLog Viewer?

Ken
Learning how to obtain and parse the data from Megasquirt myself and use it for something. No idea exactly what, I just want to know how to do it.
I see.... sort of......

If I understand correctly, you will probably want to acquire/write some software that will accomplish what you are attempting, using the serial communications already existing in MS.

Under any circumstances, this is way out of my league! I will leave your project to the gurus out there.

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Have a look at the serial protocol document: http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/Megasqui ... -10-28.pdf

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
MostHated
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by MostHated »

racingmini_mtl wrote:Have a look at the serial protocol document: http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/Megasqui ... -10-28.pdf

Jean
Fantastic, thank you much for this. I am going to be getting a Jimstim as well. Much appreciated.
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Then there is also coms through the CAN protocol if you want to explore that avenue also.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Raymond_B »

slow_hemi6 wrote:Then there is also coms through the CAN protocol if you want to explore that avenue also.
That's what I was going to say, gathering data via CAN is super easy.
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
http://www.buildpics.org/
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Raymond_B wrote:
slow_hemi6 wrote:Then there is also coms through the CAN protocol if you want to explore that avenue also.
Not if you want to do it from a PC without buying additional hardware to interface with the CAN bus.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
MostHated
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by MostHated »

racingmini_mtl wrote:
Raymond_B wrote:
Not if you want to do it from a PC without buying additional hardware to interface with the CAN bus.

Jean
Is CAN information not able to be read via serial port or anything? I bought a MS3/MS3x, highspeed RS232 to bluetooth adapter, and a JimStim. Might have to look in to what I can do to try and read that info. I just like learning stuff, lol.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Remember that you can't upload a new firmware version to the MS3 through the CAN bus but you can do it from the serial port. And a Pi could be used to load the firmware.

Besides that, there's not much difference in what can be done on either port (serial or CAN) except for the protocol.

Jean