Stock GM ecu in parallel with Microsquirt?

Do you need some help in using the forums? Any questions about using the forums can be asked here.
Contact a: System Administrator

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Haaland
MS/Extra Newbie

Stock GM ecu in parallel with Microsquirt?

Post by Haaland »

Hello everyone.

I have a donor 2000 Silverado with a 5.3 I will be putting in a 66 c10 with a microsquirt already running fuel and edis. I want to use the 4l60e or maybe one day a 4l80e so I will need the stock ecu or get a transmission controller. I have been reading about the parallel ecus. So all I have to do is splice all the inputs to the microsquirt and then run the outputs from the microsquirt instead of the stock ecu? And the stock ecu will still take care of the trans? Will this require me to delete the VATs of the stock ecu also?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Stock GM ecu in parallel with Microsquirt?

Post by Matt Cramer »

(Edited to clarify this was a bit of a mistake) If you are using a stock ECU to run the engine and a MicroSquirt to run the transmission, the MicroSquirt would run the transmission by itself with just a tach and throttle position signal from the stock wiring; you would be best off putting a manual transmission tune in the stock ECU so it doesn't attempt to command a shift and throw an error code when this doesn't happen.
Last edited by Matt Cramer on Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Haaland
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Haaland »

I'm not sure I'm understanding exactly what you are saying. So the microsquirt can control both the engine and the trans? Because if this is the case I will ditch the stock ecu all together, or would I need an other microsquirt canbused?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

One MicroSquirt can be set up for engine or transmission control, but not both. I got a bit mixed up and missed you had one MicroSquirt running it already - I though you were using the stock ECU for fuel and ignition. In your case, you would add a second MicroSquirt, communicating over CAN.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Haaland
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Haaland »

That is my fault I want very clear. The current engine is a SBC with microsquirt and edis. I have a 5.3 and 4l60e in a donor truck I'm wanting to swap. Just to get everything running till I figure out where I'm going next with the truck, I want to use as much from the donor as I can. But I'm pretty sure I will be going the turbo route so I wanted to know once I swap the stock wiring and ecu into the 66 if I could use the microsquirt for just the engine once it is boosted? And then the stock ecu the trans and Accessories.