...connect 2 gauges 1 sensor, 0-5v linear output

Do you need some help in using the forums? Any questions about using the forums can be asked here.
Contact a: System Administrator

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

MustangMike
Helpful MS/Extra'er

...connect 2 gauges 1 sensor, 0-5v linear output

Post by MustangMike »

How do I...connect 2 gauges to 1 sensor, with 0-5v linear output. Doing some searching I believe this works with no issue, just wanted to make sure.
I have some honewell 0-5v linear pressure 3 wire senders for oil/fuel and gauges designed to read that output. Can I just Y the output to MS3 and the gauges and have accurate readings?
If so, the 3 wires would go to; +5vref from the MS3 Pin 26 (TPS vref), Ground to MS3 signal return ground (MS3 Pin7), and the aforementioned signal wire split to the gauges, correct?

Thanks,
Mike
MS-III 3.0, MS3x
65 Cobra Daytona FFR, Terminator 4.6 4v, TKO 600
MustangMike
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: ...connect 2 gauges 1 sensor, 0-5v linear output

Post by MustangMike »

Wow no responses, I was hoping someone had done this previously. Well i'm about 1 week from testing live on the car so I will reply when I have results. Hopefully it doesn't require building some circuit to read the voltages in parallel without skewing the readings.
MS-III 3.0, MS3x
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Oops, I let this one slide by. I figured somebody else would get it, then forgot about it as it went down on the posting list.

Yes, that should work fine, but be sure the input resistance of the two gauges is high enough to not over-load the sensor output.
jdmckechnie
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jdmckechnie »

Would this work for an innovate LC2 controller- one 0-5V output feeding a gauge AND the MS O2 reading?
MustangMike
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MustangMike »

From the Innovate website for lc-2, no need to Y or split it has dual outputs

*2-Configurable linear 0-5v analog outputs
MS-III 3.0, MS3x
jdmckechnie
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jdmckechnie »

Yep I know :D , but I was still wondering if you could run a gauge off the same signal as you send to the megasquirt ? Is it possible or will that mess things up?
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Yes, you should be able connect both a gauge and an MS analog input to the same 0-5V signal.
jdmckechnie
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jdmckechnie »

I was wondering a while ago when I wired in a CAN EGT controller because at the time my computer wasn't working so well, and programming the LC-2's spare output seemed like a big scary ordeal.. now I have a new laptop. so I can be brave again.
I Never did end up trying the 'one analog output from the LC-2 to 2 separate end points:gauge and MS'. I ended up being patient and just programming the second output..
On another note- make sure to check ALL settings when programming an LC-2. I had a few change on me with out knowing, and my LC-2 ended up updating the MS much slower, instead of its normal quick updates.
MustangMike
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MustangMike »

Also if you do program the second output or get it attached to a laptop for any reason i strongly suggest updating the firmware to take advantage of all that it resolves.
MS-III 3.0, MS3x
jdmckechnie
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jdmckechnie »

Good idea, that's something I'll check next time I connect to the bike. I just had my Bosch 4.9 sensor stop working now- constantly reads full lean Afr. I tried to do a sensor recalibration and I got error 8.. sounds like I need a new sensor :cry: ..
Spiffy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Spiffy »

If you already have the gauge setup by it self could you just t the signal wire into the ms? Or could this lead to signal issues since sensor ground for the gauge and the ms is different?

Sent fra min Nokia 7 plus via Tapatalk
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

I have a customer that had issues with the lc2 going into error mode on occasion with no real root cause. Just rewired a few things on the car and noticed the signal wire feeding the gauge and ms. Fixed that by using both outputs and so far the random errors are gone.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
jdmckechnie
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jdmckechnie »

I haven't tried connecting 2 things to a single output on the LC2 yet, I've just been using both outputs.
MustangMike
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by MustangMike »

Yes the LC2 and most other good Widebands have 2 outputs.
I'm the OP and the thread was meant for the issue most of us face when implementing a MS on a factory engine, having to add multiple sensors for gauges and the MS to read the same thing.
I know I did this on my 93 5.0 mustang with MS and it works but maybe i was blissfully ignorant and the temp was off by 5-10 degrees and I never noticed.
Was just asking incase there was an electrical guru that knew the correct answer.
MS-III 3.0, MS3x
jdmckechnie
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jdmckechnie »

I was hoping for the same, I don't like making oopsies when It comes to by bike build..