First start

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

magflip
MS/Extra Newbie

First start

Post by magflip »

Hi guys!

Today I tryed start first time my engine. I'm using a MS1 2.2, controlling only the ignition for now.
I did all procedures described here http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms1extra/Diz ... Next_6.htm to setup my distributor but when I turned crank manually I could not see if led18 turned on and turned off (remained on all the time).

However, I tryed to start the engine. At this moment, led18 flashed but the engine don't start. While I tried start the engine, MSdroid showed approximately 120 rpm.

I'm using +5v from TPS to hall sensor, but I don't used the pull-up resistor.

The MSdroid shows 7.75v battery voltage but I measured the battery directly with DVM and it had 12.25v. What could be wrong?

Regards.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: First start

Post by Matt Cramer »

Is that 12.25 volts while cranking? If so, I'd investigate a voltage drop in the harness.

Also, confirm your timing is correct with a timing light.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
magflip
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by magflip »

Updating:

- I identified the pin 28 of the DB37 was bad contact. It was corrected and now TS shows battery 11.8v.
- The Q3 was burned and consequently the pump relay was not being activated. The Q3 was replaced and the relay became operational.
- The led17 is set to spark A but does not light up or flash when the Mega is connected in the car. Using the stim, all Mega LED light and flash.
- When the Mega is connected to the car, just the led18 (which is set to irq) lights when I turn the key and flashes during cranking.
- With the mega connected to stim, I did a test with a LED on output pin 36 of the DB37 (which is linked to R25 by a resistor 330R) and the LED blinked during the match.
- Mega is fed 11.8v with the switch on and 10.3v during cranking.
- When I turn the key the coil connector is getting 11.8v for 3 seconds and then goes to 0v. During the match, receives 10.5V. The wire coil signal gets 0.18v all the time (with the switch on and during cranking the value does not change).
- Using a test LED on pin 24 of the DB37, it flashes during the match.
- D5, d8, xg1-XG2 jumpered.
- I removed the r25 + 330R to the pin 36 and tested both sides of the R25 test with the LED. The LED not blink on either side during cranking when the Mega is connected to the car.

Being brief: using the stim, all Mega LED blink. On the car, only the led18 lights/flashes.

Help me find the problem ...
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Please post your MSQ and a data log of an attempted start.
magflip
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by magflip »

Here they are:
2015-03-31_20.02.45.msl
2015-03-31_20.06.19.msq
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Some things I noticed:

1. Try increasing Hold Ignition to prevent that RPM spike when you first start cranking.
2. I think your MAP sensor may be unplugged.
3. Setting Spark Output Inverted to Yes will produce only very short flashes while cranking - they may be almost imperceptible except in pitch darkness.

How did you modify the board for spark?