Relay on extra output chatters

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

AncientGeek
MS/Extra Newbie

Relay on extra output chatters

Post by AncientGeek »

I added a an extra output as per docs using a 2N2222A and a diode across the relay coil and I'm testing with a stim. It works fine except on reaching the activation value (rpm in this case) the relay will chatter. A little above and below the limit it is fine. I tried a few different relays including low power ones, they all do the same. The voltage is about 6v while it is chattering.Its only for about 100rpm. Suggestions?
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Relay on extra output chatters

Post by DaveEFI »

How are you powering the Stim? Have you measured battery voltage when the chattering occurs?
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
2swe
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 2swe »

Hysterisis ?

What's your output settings ?
ON-OFF limit and OFF-Hysterisis

isn't the output switching on at say 3000 RPM, and OFF at 2999 RPM ? and so on...
1978 vw golf gti 16v itb cop full sequential MS2
1992 vw corrado 16v moonlight blue MS2
AncientGeek
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by AncientGeek »

Its a 12v 7ah sla battery. I never thought to check the voltage but it is in fact dropping to under 12v just powering the board and to 11v when the relay kicks in. While it chatters it oscillates between 11 and 12v. I'll try another battery.

It is set to turn on at 7 (700rpm) with an off-hysteresis of 100 rpm. It chatters between about 700 and 750 rpm when increasing and from about 700 to 550 rpm when decreasing revs.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

If your battery is dropping a volt driving a typical relay, it is definitely time for a new one!

What is this relay driving? It almost sounds like it's interrupting its own power, like a door buzzer!
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
AncientGeek
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by AncientGeek »

Indeed the battery must be fubar. The idea is to stop the aircon turning on at power up and turn it off if the revs dip below 600. I also thought of using it to make sure the WB controller doesn't power up before the engine is running.
AncientGeek
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by AncientGeek »

Replaced the battery, now the voltage hardly drops from 12.6 but the relay chatter persists. I then tried a 2200 uF cap across the relay coil and perfect! I tried a 47 uF but that did not help. Interestingly high resistance relay coils (>100ohm) seem to have more chatter. I wonder if this is one of those things that can't really be tested with a sim and I'm actually fussing over nothing..