No spark, distributor?

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

dmeyers
MS/Extra Newbie

No spark, distributor?

Post by dmeyers »

Was driving a few days ago and engine just stopped. Managed to limp it home with several turn off/ restart sequences. After getting it in my garage, found that the MSQ was not reading RPMs at all during cranking. No spark. Pulled the MSQ and ran with the stimulator and everything reads correctly. Checked all of the wiring to the dizzy and the ignition coil and there were no bad connections. Had a spare ignition coil, changed it, no change. I have a 280zx which I built up according to the following write-up: http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_article ... _turbo.htm. It uses an optical CAS. Unfortunately I cannot find much info on how to check the dizzy to see if it is the problem. It is an expensive part (~300) so I just want to see if anyone has any other suggestions to try before going that route. I would post a datalog, but to be honest all it shows is the rpms suddenly dropping to 0. It was running fine for awhile before this, and I didn't change any settings so the MSQ file settings should not be an issue. Thanks for the help.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: No spark, distributor?

Post by Matt Cramer »

Rotate the distributor by hand, key on and engine off. Put a multimeter on the distributor output. You should see the signal from the distributor go from 0 to 12 volts and back again six times per distributor revolution.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
kortmeyer
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: No spark, distributor?

Post by kortmeyer »

Did you ever figure the problem out?