Dual EDIS 6 wiring

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

dt
MS/Extra Newbie

Dual EDIS 6 wiring

Post by dt »

Hello chums.

I'm sorting out a twin-plug EDIS set up, and would appreciate some guidance please.

First, the wiring between the EDIS and the coils shown seems at vaiance with the colour codes I have.

Coil A from the EDIS is yellow/black, and B is yellow/white, C is yellow/red.

And the wires in the coil connector are 1..yellow red, 2, yellow/white. 3 yellow/black.

Which is fine of course, since we can use the plug leads in any of the holes to arrange the firing order...(but the diagram given on the EDIS site shows pin 1 on the coil connected to pin 10 (coil A) output from the EDIS...)

So the question is, does the EDIS output sequence run pin 10, 11,12?

If so, and we wire according to the Ford wiring code, the coils connected to pin 3(I believe this is coil C, marked on the Ford coil as cylinders 1,5, will fire first, then pin 2 (coil B, cyl 2,6), then pin 3 ( coil A, cyl 3,4)

The sequence using the Given diagram would of course be opposite (A, B, C,)

I'm suspicious this is the problem some have had with the EDIS-6 install , from reading some threads round here...

Does anyone know for sure, or maybe this differs between EDIS boxes...?

Second issue:

Since I need twin plugs firing simultaneously, I'd prefer if possible to time them both from the one EDIS...ie two coil packs in parallel.

I'm guessing the EDIS will not tolerate the very low impedance which results, and even less the flyback....

So do I need to fit three piggyback amplifiers onto the EDIS outputs for the second coil?

How would the Gurus do it please?

Kind regards
David
Ferret
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Ferret »

This is the coil's firing order, discovered by trial and error.
A violent backfire burned the hair off my arm when I wired it wrong at first, so I home smeone else will benifit from my experementations.

Avner.
dt
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dt »

Thanks very much Avner.

I'm afraid I cannot relate this to the pinout on the coil or that on the EDIS itself.

Do you know if that pin 1 on the input connector of the coil (ie the pin furthest away from the coil ground pin, pin4), is wired to the endmost high tension terminals, then pin2 to the middle HT terminals, then pin3 to the last pair of Ht
terminals at the end?

And, in your set up. what pins on the EDIS are wired to what pins on the coil, and what is the wire colours please?

Many thanks
David
MegaScott
MS/Extra Guru

Post by MegaScott »

dt wrote:Thanks very much Avner.

I'm afraid I cannot relate this to the pinout on the coil or that on the EDIS itself.

Do you know if that pin 1 on the input connector of the coil (ie the pin furthest away from the coil ground pin, pin4), is wired to the endmost high tension terminals, then pin2 to the middle HT terminals, then pin3 to the last pair of Ht
terminals at the end?

And, in your set up. what pins on the EDIS are wired to what pins on the coil, and what is the wire colours please?

Many thanks
David
David,

I would refrain from using wire colors. The international nature of this forum is such that, in the UK, your Ford for a particular pin number may be a certain color, but in Australia, or the USA, or Bolivia, the wire colors could be totally different. So to eliminate cornfusion it is best to use pin numbers only. Besides that some of us (Me) would have rewired the connector with all the same colour wire. :)

Link of some relevance - http://www.msefi.com/msinfo/ms2/EDIS.htm
(scroll down to the EDIS schematics)
Aircooled6racer
MS/Extra Newbie

Twin plug setup.

Post by Aircooled6racer »

Hello: The twin plug setup you are doing would'nt happen to be for a Porsche 911 would it? I'm new to this type of setup and was wondering the same thing about running one module or two. I also want to fire the plugs at the same time both the top and bottom ones. Let me know if you are doing a Porsche engine and would'nt mind sharing some info. Thanks Eric
Learned carbs. Learning EFI. Thanks to all for the help they will give me.
Mike Bonkalski
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Mike Bonkalski »

Ferret,

Are you sure about the firing order?

I have been having serious startup issues that I have attributed to spark and given the firing order you have shown, it confirms my suspicions that my plug wires aren't in the right locations.

Aircooled,

Just run the coil packs in parallel. One for the top set of plugs and one for the bottom. Then match up you top and bottom plug wires on each coil pack. If the diagram above is correct and Porsche 911 firing order - 1-6-2-4-3-5, then set up each coil like this:

1 2 3
O O O
1 3 2 - Coil Firing Order
O O O
4 5 6
'71 Porsche 911 Targa RS
'02 Saab 9-5 Aero
Ferret
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Ferret »

Right now my car is in the shop and I keep forgetting this thread until I get home at night.
I'll try to remember to check the pin numbers tommorow.
Avner.
dt
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dt »

Yes, 911...

Thanks Avner.

My EDIS is all Us-sourced...and I'm suspecting as yopu do there will be differnces..

But I'd hope the firing order coming out of the EDIS is consistent..whatever it actually is, and the coil packs like wise.

I just found it very curious that if I matched the coil pack leads by colours to the EDIS outputs, then the connections were not as shown in that diagram just linked to..

Kind regards
David
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

To run a 6cyl twin plug application I would suggest using two EDIS6 modules and two six tower coils.
Have the two modules share the VR sensor and share the SAW signal from the Megasquirt. Wire ONE of the PIP signals to the Megasquirt.

I tested two EDIS4 modules wired this way on the bench and for the short test it worked.

James
fb71
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by fb71 »

jsmcortina wrote:To run a 6cyl twin plug application I would suggest using two EDIS6 modules and two six tower coils.
Have the two modules share the VR sensor and share the SAW signal from the Megasquirt. Wire ONE of the PIP signals to the Megasquirt.

I tested two EDIS4 modules wired this way on the bench and for the short test it worked.

James
This is what I would also suggest. I have several years experience w/ Ford products, and this setup does seem to work. Just ensure that the sensor shield is properly grounded to both EDIS units.

pin 1 = PIP (raw signal to MS)
pin 2 = IDM (tach signal)
pin 3 = SPOUT (modified spark angle from MS)
pin 4 = Ignition Ground
pin 5 = Crank Sensor -
pin 6 = Crank Sensor +
pin 7 = Shield Ground
pin 8 = Power
pin 9 = Ground
pin 10 = coil A
pin 11 = coil C
pin 12 = coil B

Hope this helps!
Jim DeAngelis
Mike Bonkalski
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Mike Bonkalski »

Thanks for the clarification/recommendation on the 2 modules, James.

I just wanted to verify the firing order as posted by Feret above. I went home and changed my plug wires and my startup issues are now gone. Also, during my setup, I matched like colored coil pack wires (yellow/white, yellow/black, yellow/red) to the corresponding wires on the control module. I did find, however, that the VR sensor wires (blue/gray) needed to be matched blue to gray and gray to blue.

For Porsche 911's use the firing/plug order I indicated above.
'71 Porsche 911 Targa RS
'02 Saab 9-5 Aero
dt
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dt »

Great news Mike.

Pleae could you post the connections which worked for you..we should be able to work it all out then..

Kind regards
David
Mike Bonkalski
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Mike Bonkalski »

My EDIS connections (w/ wire color on control module):

pin 1 = PIP (raw signal to MS) - Gray
pin 2 = IDM (tach signal) - Tan (this signal will work to run later 911 tachs)
pin 3 = SPOUT (modified spark angle from MS) - Pink
pin 4 = Ignition Ground - Orange (I just capped this - OK?)
pin 5 = Crank Sensor - - Blue (connected to gray VR sensor wire)
pin 6 = Crank Sensor +- Gray(connected to blue VR sensor wire)
pin 7 = Shield Ground - Black
pin 8 = Power - Red (connected to 3 fuse panel in 911 engine bay)
pin 9 = Ground - Black
pin 10 = coil A - Yellow/Black (connected to Yellow/Black from coil)
pin 11 = coil C - Yellow/White (connected to Yellow/White from coil)
pin 12 = coil B - Yellow/Red (connected to Yellow/Red from coil)

My engine is a 2.7L RS spec in a 1971 911. The Megasquirt Relay Board Batt 12V and all EDIS componants power are run to the top fuse and the Relay Board switched 12V is run to the bottom fuse. The middle fuse contains no Megasquirt power connections.
'71 Porsche 911 Targa RS
'02 Saab 9-5 Aero
renns
Site Admin

Post by renns »

jsmcortina wrote:To run a 6cyl twin plug application I would suggest using two EDIS6 modules and two six tower coils.

James
I've been running the same twin EDIS4 module setup exactly as above for several thousand miles without issue.

Roger.
Aircooled6racer
MS/Extra Newbie

911 firing order.

Post by Aircooled6racer »

Mike: I sent a post a while back about the firing order. I thank all for the info on the twin modules for twin plug setup. I thought this was the way to do it. Does anyone kmow if I can use a Electromotive small vr sensor instead of the Ford one? I have one of the Electromotive ones that was a spare. How do you check the VR sensors? I will post some pics when I get a chance. I think this great that we all share info and our setup problems. Thanks Eric
Learned carbs. Learning EFI. Thanks to all for the help they will give me.
renns
Site Admin

Re: 911 firing order.

Post by renns »

Aircooled6racer wrote:Does anyone kmow if I can use a Electromotive small vr sensor instead of the Ford one? I have one of the Electromotive ones that was a spare. How do you check the VR sensors?
If it's a standard 2-wire VR sensor, then I see no reason why it wouldn't work. I used an industrial VR sensor I had in my toolbox from an old turbo speed measurement application. It works just fine.

You can check polarity with a voltmeter. You should see a positive voltage swing when moving towards ferrous metal, negative when moving away...or just hook it up and take the 50/50 chance!

Roger.
Ferret
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Ferret »

I just checked the setup on my car :
Pin 10 on module is connected to pin 1 on coil plug by a yellow/black wire.
Pin 11 on module is connected to pin 2 on coil plug by a yellow/white wire.
Pin 12 on module is connected to pin 3 on coil plug by a yellow/red wire.

The firing order (by module pins) is 10-12-11, which corrusponds to the coil firing order in the diagram I posted earlier.

All of the components were bought as a package from the USA eBay.

BTW - anyone tried multispark with EDIS6?

Avner.
dt
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dt »

Thank you very much Avner.

That is the information we need..the firing order coming out the EDIS-6, which is surprising!

It may be worth all knowing also that the colours on the wires in the one coil connector I have are in the opposite order to thos in yours..

ie pin 1, furthests from the pin 4 red/green +12V wire, is actually yellow.red, pin 2 is yellow white, pin3 is yellow black..

Kind regards
David
Mike Bonkalski
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Mike Bonkalski »

David, that because you drive on the other side of the road. :lol:

Seriously, all this info just makes it easier for the next guy. Having a knowledge base like this at your finger tips is just indespensible.
'71 Porsche 911 Targa RS
'02 Saab 9-5 Aero
renns
Site Admin

Post by renns »

Avner,

I tested a number of EDIS4 modules (blue and red label), and they I failed to find any that didn't support multispark. I was going to test EDIS6 and EDIS8 modules as well, but they got snatched up before I could get them on test.

Roger.