MegaSquirt 'n Spark-E ignition options - I'm so confused.

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

disc
Helpful MS/Extra'er

MegaSquirt 'n Spark-E ignition options - I'm so confused.

Post by disc »

Hi!
I'm using mine MS without any problems - runing EDIS4 - it's simple and instruction are so clear to follow. A friend of mine is very interested in MS and want to use it on his Opel engine, but here is the problem - we can't understand/choose ignition options.

What we have:

Opel engine have 60-2 crankwheel;

An sensor on that 60-2 wheel but we don't know is that a Hall or VR - 3 wire sensor;

Bosch module

and a single coil.

I think that we can use wheel decoder. But theres no clear instruction how to wire all that stuffs...
If we get that schematic:

Can we use LED17 intead FIDLE, so we can use Ford or Bosch PWM idle valve?

Also - how can tell is that a Hall or VR? And if this is VR is that schematic is needed to use our VR? Is there different types of VR's?

Please help us.
Thanks.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: MegaSquirt 'n Spark-E ignition options - I'm so confused

Post by jsmcortina »

disc wrote: I think that we can use wheel decoder. But theres no clear instruction how to wire all that stuffs...
This is true and I want to draw some up.

To find out what your sensor is, get a voltmeter and check what is on the wires. If you are able to back-probe the connector it will help a lot.
If you find one wire is +5v or +12v then you have almost certainly got a hall sensor. Now if you turn the engine by hand one of the other wires should go from 0v to +5v(or +12v) and back as it passes each tooth.

Or... if you have a VR sensor, the AC voltage across two of the wires will increase as the engine revs increase.

If you have a VR sensor then the V3 board will make life a lot simpler as it has the necessary circuit built in. For V2.2 you have to build the LM1815 circuit.

On the coil side, you can either keep you module or use the VB921 ignition driver that comes on the V3 board.

James
disc
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by disc »

That was quick! Thanks!

We prefer V2.2
I'll draw a schematic, so can be confirmed.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

If it is a VR on a new install I would advise the V3. It does cost more, but it works and will be neater than an add on board (you should see the mess inside my MS case.)
If it is an existing V2.2 install then by all means add the additional components.

James
disc
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by disc »

Ok...
Here is my schematic:

1. Can we use LED17 as spark output and it's the correct way?
2. Do we need Tach signal from coil to MS?
3. If that we have is VR how to connect it?
4. "LM1815 based VR sensor conditioner for V2.2 or v1.01 - optional is a 390R resistor across the VR input. " - where to put that 390R resistor?

Sorry for my silly questions, but more instructions needed.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Pretty close, but delete the red wire from the coil back to the Megasquirt.
The LM1815 circuit provides the tach signal from the 60-2 wheel.

A tach signal is ONLY taken from the coil is fuel-only installs.

James
Last edited by jsmcortina on Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
disc
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by disc »

BTT.
Now we have Ms 2.2 and need some practical solution for that engine!
Please put some light in our project.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

My brain was faster than my fingers in my previous post, and I have now edited it to correct a typing error.

Basically, yes, like you've drawn, but no connection from coil negative back to the Megasquirt. The VR sensor and LM1815 provide the tach signal internally.

The +ve wire from the VR sensor goes to the 18k resistor, the other goes to ground - as close to the LM1815 as possible. You may need to fit a 390R resistor across these wires.

James
disc
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by disc »

Hi again!

The idea with Opel engine was not very clear for the owner of vehicle, so that MS (V2.2) now goes to turbocharged BMW :lol:

Here is the same problem... how to co connect everything?

Please someone to complete my drawing for VR sensor. Where to connect that 3 wires? How to find +ve wire from the VR sensor because engine is just rebuild and it's not running :cry: . Where goes third wire from VR sensor?

Does VR conditioner needs ground (I see 5V but no ground?) and where is connected to circuit?

Ford Zetec Turbo in progress... MSnS-E, EDIS4, LC-1 ect. The engine is running @ 12Psi :)
disc
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by disc »

btt...
Please!
Ford Zetec Turbo in progress... MSnS-E, EDIS4, LC-1 ect. The engine is running @ 12Psi :)
xeny
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by xeny »

Hi,

The bottom line of VR Diagram should be connected to ground.
If your VR sensor has 3 wires that means that one is shield other are Ve+ and Ve- (or it is not VR sensor it can be Hall). So you should connect Ve- and shield to ground on PCB.
How to recodnize which is Ve+? I'm doing this with scope watching a polarity of signal.

One problematic point of your projects can be how ignitor and coil will go together. I mean that if ignitor is a "smart" you not have control on dwell and on current in the coil.

Regards