v2.2 MSnS -> v3.0 MSnSE

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Forrest
MS/Extra Newbie

v2.2 MSnS -> v3.0 MSnSE

Post by Forrest »

Hey guys, I just finished building MSv3.0. What I was running on my car (before I fried two v2.2 boards) was MSnS. I am a little uncertain about all the new ignition options built into the board.

Before, I was using an optical CAS -> MSnS (with special 50% dwell code) -> fidle out -> MSD6 -> coil + distributor.

I would like to continue to run basically the same setup with MSnSE on V3.0 hardware.

I built the optical input section of the board and did not build or jumper anything related to the coil driver circuit. Does MSnSE still allow me to use the fidle out for ignition? Do we have dwell control now or am I going to have to figure out how to recompile the code so I have 50% dwell?

Thanks,
-Forrest
MegaScott
MS/Extra Guru

Re: v2.2 MSnS -> v3.0 MSnSE

Post by MegaScott »

Forrest wrote:Hey guys, I just finished building MSv3.0. What I was running on my car (before I fried two v2.2 boards) was MSnS. I am a little uncertain about all the new ignition options built into the board.

Before, I was using an optical CAS -> MSnS (with special 50% dwell code) -> fidle out -> MSD6 -> coil + distributor.
I would like to continue to run basically the same setup with MSnSE on V3.0 hardware. I built the optical input section of the board and did not build or jumper anything related to the coil driver circuit.
Forrest,

Welcome Back!!
Does MSnSE still allow me to use the fidle out for ignition?
Yes you can still use the fidle for ignition if you want, Although this is slowly being phased out to limit the support options. The code still supports it.
Do we have dwell control now or am I going to have to figure out how to recompile the code so I have 50% dwell? Thanks,
-Forrest
For fixed duty cycle you can choose between 50%, 75%, or minimal for HEI4 and the Controlled dwell. No recompiling required.

Cheers!!
Forrest
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Forrest »

Here it is, more than half a year later, and I'm finally (almost) done with the rest of the car. So MSv3 is about to go in. Thanks for the response! I have one thing I'd like to be doubly clear on:

With the old setup I used the CAS signal from an optical CAS on a 280zx turbo distributor. Those of us running this had to use a pullup resistor for the signal before running it into input. So basically, after we put power and ground to the CAS, we also ran a 1k ohm resistor between 5v power and connection between the CAS output wire and the tach input post on the relay board.

I have been unable to find any "upgrade" instructions or information about setting up the optical CAS with the v3.0 board. All I know from assembly is that there is an "optical input circuit" now, not sure what that entails.

Do I still need to run the the pullup resistor? What kind of input is MSnSE expecting for that optical CAS input circuit?

Feel free to just point me to some documentation, if this is already written up. I haven't been able to find it yet.