2 Coil Packs 4-cyl VR Ignition Input

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

myk
Helpful MS/Extra'er

2 Coil Packs 4-cyl VR Ignition Input

Post by myk »

Ok, well I got a 4agze with a cam position sensor using the VR (NE,G-,G1,G2) sensor. I want to have Megasquirt run everything including spark. I have two coil packs (waste spark setup) on the 4-cyl. Will megasquirt allow the use of two coil packs with the VR input?

Thanks,

Myk
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Yes it can. Have you looked at the wheel decoder page
http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra ... wheel.html

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
lmr052
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by lmr052 »

The only word or caution is you may not be able to use the OEM multiplexed igniter if your set-up has one. Plan to use 2 x VB921s instead.

Regards, Richard
Successful MS Replacement for OEM Toyota ECU - all stock sensors and 2nd Ignition Input.
myk
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by myk »

(MSnS-E)

Does anyone want to share me their trigger values for the Cam sensor on the 4agze(ae101,ae92) silvertop 4age?

Thanks,

Myk
lmr052
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by lmr052 »

myk wrote:Does anyone want to share me their trigger values for the Cam sensor on the 4agze(ae101,ae92) silvertop 4age?
Assuming you keep the stock static advance of 10BTDC, which aligns with a NE tooth, then you have the options of 40, 70, 100 or 130 degrees trigger angle. If using the second input (G1, G2), these trigger angles equate to trigger teeth pairs or (12, 6), (11, 5), (10, 4), (9,3).

If you grind teeth off theNE wheel, then the teeth numbering depends on the pair chosen.

HTH. Regards, Richard
Successful MS Replacement for OEM Toyota ECU - all stock sensors and 2nd Ignition Input.
myk
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by myk »

Thanks for the help, please pardon my ignorance.

The main wheel (NE) has two teeth and is connected to the normal tachometer input wire on megasquirt.

The other wheel G1,G2 has 12 teeth right?, I read the Dual Wheel/Second trigger info on megasquirt.info and could not understand how to exactly wire in everything and set it up, granted the information was helpful, but it still left alot of loose edges.

Any more information on how you set it up would be very helpful. If you need any parts from a 4age I would gladly swap you them for the help.

Myk
lmr052
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by lmr052 »

myk wrote:Thanks for the help, please pardon my ignorance.

The main wheel (NE) has two teeth and is connected to the normal tachometer input wire on megasquirt.

The other wheel G1,G2 has 12 teeth right?,
No.... The NE wheel has 24 teeth but spins at camshaft speed so it appears to be a 12 tooth wheel to MegaSquirt. After being conditioned, it goes to the normal tachometer input on U1.

The G1 and G2 signals are triggerred from the two VR sensors by a single tooth on the shaft under the 24 tooth wheel. The G1/G2 signals provide a reference pulse to MegaSquirt much the same way as a missing or solid tooth does on other wheels. The G1/G2 signals are mixed and conditioned before being fed into the second input on U1.

Thanks for the offer of 4AGE bits - I can't think of any I need plus there is quite a good supply here in Australia.

I can send an MSQ although the ignition timing may be a bit too advanced and it is set up for a NA engine. I can also send the INC files I used for the OEM Nippondenso temp sensors and NA MAP sensor. Drop me a PM with your email address.

Regards, Richard
max@zl2max.gen.nz
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by max@zl2max.gen.nz »

Imr052

Ok now I just have to ask.......

The story so far, rover V8 which I want to do wasted spark with. I have looked at 36/1 crankshaft wheels, but these are not looking easy. Happy with the missing tooth position is either TDC or BDC ( plus offset ... ) and that cause it is wasted spark it dosn't matter wheather it is TDC or BDC we are starting from... so I foud a mazda dizzy the other day with 24 teeth, grind one off and we have 24/1 wheel running at camshaft speed...

Now I get confused, so you say it appears as a 12/1, OK with the 12 but not the 1 .......

Now with every rotation of the crankshaft we now have 2 missing teeth type pules.... how do we figure which is TDC/BDC ????

Or have I missed something ???

Max
lmr052
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by lmr052 »

max@zl2max.gen.nz wrote:...... Happy with the missing tooth position is either TDC or BDC ( plus offset ... ) and that cause it is wasted spark it dosn't matter wheather it is TDC or BDC we are starting from... so I foud a mazda dizzy the other day with 24 teeth, grind one off and we have 24/1 wheel running at camshaft speed...

Now I get confused, so you say it appears as a 12/1, OK with the 12 but not the 1 .......

Now with every rotation of the crankshaft we now have 2 missing teeth type pules.... how do we figure which is TDC/BDC ????

Or have I missed something ???
Max,
Because the distributor turns at HALF the speed of the crankshaft (for a 4 stroke), when 2 distributor teeth are removed (which are opposite each other), we get 2 missing pulses every distributor revolution or every 2 missing pulses for every 2 crankshaft revolutions - just what we need.

MSnSE isn't overly choosy about where the missing tooth is as long as the missing tooth is not being used as a trigger for your engine.

In the case of a V8 with 4 spark events every revolution, you may need to be careful that with a 12-1 wheel that the missing tooth is not at one of the 4 spark trigger points especially when you add you maximum advance in.

Regards, Richard
myk
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by myk »

So will the NE wheel trigger the RPM gauge without the help of the G1 or G2 signals?

Basically I cannot get my sensor to read on my MS.

Mike
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

max@zl2max.gen.nz wrote: The story so far, rover V8 which I want to do wasted spark with. I have looked at 36/1 crankshaft wheels, but these are not looking easy.
I found the pressed steel Ford wheel very easy to fit as it sandwiches between the balancer and rear belt catcher quite easily. By chance the internal diameter happen to fit almost perfectly around the six through bolts on the damper. This seems to work for a P6 pulley and 3.9 Range Rover pulley.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
cng1
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by cng1 »

The story so far, rover V8 which I want to do wasted spark with. I have looked at 36/1 crankshaft wheels, but these are not looking easy.
If you want to go with a 36-1 wheel feel free to drop me a line privately and we can talk through the options. On the rover V8 we typically use 6.5 or occasionally 7.25" wheels. As James points out the pressed steel ones should work just fine, you can see the rest of the styles here - www.trigger-wheels.com

Chris