Fan Control Using Stock Ford IRCM

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

cchristopher
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Fan Control Using Stock Ford IRCM

Post by cchristopher »

I was wondering if there is an easy way to use the stock ford IRCM to control my fan.

It has all the relays in a case. The only problem is it has a safety feature that if the input is left open (ie cut input wire) the fan runs continuously.

So in order for the fan to be off you must ground the input. If you want it running the input must be left open. Let me know if you have any ideas.

I guess if all else fails I can run a relay but I would like my install to be as plug and play as possible. Right now my fans just run continuously. Its a pain to get warmed up in 20 degree weather :)
Charles Christopher
1992 Mugtang Notch LX Turbo 2..3
MS-1 V2.2 PCB Running MSNS-Extra 29q2 / TFI
cchristopher
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by cchristopher »

I was thinking maybe I can try a pull down resistor to keep the input low. I will see if this works
Charles Christopher
cchristopher
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by cchristopher »

It didnt work. I guess I will install a seperate relay.
Charles Christopher
John L.
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by John L. »

I don't think you have to do that, this is what I'm going to do. The main fan does have a voltage inverter on it so it runs the fan when there is no input, and cuts the fan off when there is input. You just need a drive circuit hooked up to one of the processor outputs, one of the invertable ones, and you may have to try it both inverted or not. The relays or the inverter could also be bad in your IRCM. There must be a way to set it up this way, like you I'd like to hook right into the EDF wire for the stock ECU.
cchristopher
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by cchristopher »

Just did this with the eec-iv adapter. Set it to inverted and it works like a charm.
Charles Christopher