TFI questions-coil charging?

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

TFI questions-coil charging?

Post by wes kiser »

I have my car running of MS2 with TFI, and have some questions. I know this forum is primarily for msns-e, but thought this was the most appropriate place.
When I first got my car running, I used the suggested (for ms2) 1ms dwell. I noticed at really low rpm's, my car would miss badly, and my tach would jump around. I unplugged the spout and this went away. Increaseing the dwell helped, so I eventually settled on a 50% duty cycle like seemed to work for the msns-e people, and for the most part all is well.
I have 2 issues:
1) At idle, it still doesn't act quite right (tach "trembles", and if it dips below 850 rpm it seems to missfire)
2) Around 3000 rpm and medium load it will occaisionally miss. It will only do this mayb 1 time in a 20 mile interstate trip, and I can not make it consistantly do it
Neither problem existed with the factory ecu (although plenty of others did that arer now gone)

Other than these 2 issues, the car runs great. I have not even confirmed these are tfi problems (although I am pretty sure #1 is, and probably not 2). My main question is have any of you guys seen/heard of anything like that relating to tfi? I also have noticed that a large percentage of ford people seem to run msd style boxes, is there a reason for this?
86 Rx-7, swapped to 2.3 ford turbo (BW EFR 6758), ms3/ms3x sequential fuel /waste spark, ls2 coils
88 Tbird 2.3t, Microsquirt Module (PIMP), TFI ignition
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by wes kiser »

Issue #2 had nothing to do with tfi. Issue #1 is still around, and I am pretty sure it does have to do with tfi.
Above 1500 rpms, the car runs great. It will also idle fine. If I apply any load at a lower rpm, the car will misfire, and the tach will jump. Changing the dwell from the 50% output (in ms2 you set dwell and duration to a really large number forcing a 50% output) makes the problem worse, so I think it has something to do with the dwell/duration settings.
I assembled my circuit like is shown on the ms2 documents, but used a 330 ohm pullup as has been suggested, and have tried lower resistances but that didn't help.
If I use the suggested dwell from the ms2 setup page (1ms), it misses so bad it will not run (but no duration is suggested). So far the 50% seems to work best.
The car is tuned and gets good gas mileage, but it is hard to start from a dead stop without killing it, I am really abusing the clutch to get it moving. It sounds like an ignition miss, and goes from stoic to pegged lean when it misses (sounds like a classic ignition miss).
I would suspect a coil or something, but at 5000rpm and 20psi it is fine, so I think it has to do with my tfi setup.
I am likely going to convert to edis in the near future (sooner rather than later if I can't figure this out). Exactly what settings are the ms2 tfi people using?
86 Rx-7, swapped to 2.3 ford turbo (BW EFR 6758), ms3/ms3x sequential fuel /waste spark, ls2 coils
MegaScott
MS/Extra Guru

Post by MegaScott »

I am right in the middle of documenting the installation of the new V1.21 EEC-IV adaptor board, and this time around I plan on running MS2 so I want to be able to at least somewhat duplicate the problems you are seeing.

Post a copy of your MSQ and tell us what version of firmware you are using. That will make it easier to dupe your setup.

It has been my experience that those little engines need to be a bit rich around idle vs Stoich, also do you experience any backfires? Possibly you could bump up the low RPM AE and see if that helps.

In the mean time I'll be building an extender cable, from the adaptor board to the MS, and mounting the Megasquirt under the Dash of my B2 for testing with MS2.

Alot of guys are running MSD because in the early days of Megasquirt and TFI you needed to build an inverter circuit to get it to work, with MSD you just hook it up, now for tfi you just install a pullup resistor, which makes it easier, I have found that the optimal value for the resistor is 330ohm, but any value from 100ohm to 330ohm will work just the same. I know from personal experience that the stock TFI is good at least up to 20psi.
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by wes kiser »

I will post my .msq tonight. I have tried both adding and taking away quite a bit of fuel in this region, and it didn't seem to make much difference. Also I don't have to be moving the pedal/changing map pressure, it will missfire steady state. I thought it was odd I had to deviate from what was known to work in terms of the dwell settings to make it run ok. The tach also dips when it misses, so I assume that means the coil isn't charging properly.
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by wes kiser »

Here is my most recent .msg. Again this is for ms2 and 2.34 code. The problem really isn't that bad, but the jumping tach with the miss lets me know something isn't quite right.
herkamer
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by herkamer »

http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=16873

Wes,

Just saw this and thought it might apply to your situation.
Matt

Current vehicle 83 Dodge W350, MS2
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by wes kiser »

Thanks, I need to change my sig, I have been runing 2.35 since the first week it was released. I think I am going to convert to EDIS soon, since I never liked the 2.3 dizzy location anyway. Is yours running yet?
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by wes kiser »

Fixed it. :D

On another post in the ms2 forums, some one mentioned changing the predictor algorithim making the tach jump. I changed the predictor algorithim to 1rst derivative and the low rpm misses went away, along with the tach jumping and the detonation I was getting on boost onset. So for 4 banger tfi ms2 people 1rst derivative might be necessary (at a minimum to make it run properly)
cossie_storm
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by cossie_storm »

Fixed it.

On another post in the ms2 forums, some one mentioned changing the predictor algorithim making the tach jump. I changed the predictor algorithim to 1rst derivative and the low rpm misses went away, along with the tach jumping and the detonation I was getting on boost onset. So for 4 banger tfi ms2 people 1rst derivative might be necessary (at a minimum to make it run properly)

sorry, did't understand what solved it..???
Ford sierra Is turbo 88
Turbo t-3 Audi s2 dyser ca 345cc
Megatune 2.25
Msns-s 0.29 Q
ms v 2.2