New 8" diameter 36 teeth trigger wheel, Chevy, Pontiac,

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Karch
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Karch »

OK, I have a new 8" diameter wheel, and I asked for all the teeth in place so I can grind a tooth down after I orient it correctly per my application.

I may be able to get more made, but only if I can get enough people interested.

I am shooting for a target price of $40, but it may take a couple of months or so.

Is there anyone interested, or should I just enjoy it myself?

The procedure would be, since I am sourcing these out, would be to get an initial list of people interested, then get deposits, say $10 each wheel, then place the order once I get the minimum quantity met.

This one is 3/16" thick, and I have it set up for Chevy and Pontiac pulley attachment.

Personally, I am going to bore this one out and weld it to the circumference of my inside pulley to aid alignment.

Thoughts? :RTFM:
How many of you have driven 300?
MiseryQ
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by MiseryQ »

I'd be interested. Even if I'd have to drill Oldsmobile holes (:
Live in Hampton Roads Virginia? Then join Virginia-MSEFI! With RSS, Mail2Forum, 13 members & Blogging!
cng1
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by cng1 »

"Karch" wrote:
> I am shooting for a target price of $40, but it may take a couple of months or so.

Sounds about the right pricepoint to me as our 8.25" ones go for
$40.

Chris
www.trigger-wheels.com
Posted by email.
Karch
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Karch »

Thanks Chris, it always helps to know I am in the ballpark.

Misery, I'll count you in if it goes into production, thank you.
MegaScott
MS/Extra Guru

Post by MegaScott »

I'd buy one for the 40$ target price.
hytekauto

New 8" diameter 36 teeth trigger wheel

Post by hytekauto »

I'd be interested in two of these. Let me know when/if this goes forward.
Thanks!
z-ya
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by z-ya »

So the trigger wheel diameter is not important? So I can make one 7" if that is the size I need? I'm building up a Supecharged Datsun L28 with EDIS and the SC pulley is 6" diameter. I need the trigger wheel to extend just beyound the SC pully.

What are the requirements? Does the space between teeth need to be equal to the width of the tooth (and equally spaced of course)?

Thanks,

Pete
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Size of wheel does not matter within reason, but very small wheels require equally small sensors which can be a problem. All of the wheels that I have seen appear to have close to equally sized gaps and teeth.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
lemans70sport
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by lemans70sport »

I bought one from Karch from his first set he had made. Very nice quality and everything lines up (pulley holes) as they should. I would recommend buying one. Great price too.

Steve
1970 Pontiac LeMans 400 cu in/400 trans
Karch
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Karch »

lemans70sport wrote:I bought one from Karch from his first set he had made. Very nice quality and everything lines up (pulley holes) as they should. I would recommend buying one. Great price too.

Steve
Thank you very much, Steve.

Unfortunately, that may be the last batch, as the supplier wants orders of 500 at a minimum. I would need to get a couple of distributors on-board with committments (and deposits) to make it happen.

We'll see. Thanks again.
z-ya
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by z-ya »

A freind made this one on his automated plasma cutter. We made it about an inch larger in diameter than the supercharger for clearance reasons. It works fine with and EDIS-6 module.

Pete
MegaScott
MS/Extra Guru

Post by MegaScott »

Pete,

Are you saying you can have these wheels made? That wheel looks like it would work fine after grinding off one tooth.
z-ya
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by z-ya »

I had him make it with all teeth in place, then I ground off the right tooth to fit where my sensor mounted.

The problem with the plasma cutter is that the teeth are not perfect (not like waterjet). Once it is mounted on your damper, you need a lathe to make the trigger wheel run true to the damper. Yes, we could make 36 tooth trigger wheels with a center hole, but again, some additional machining will be need to get the whole assembly to run true.

Once the design is done, and downloaded to the machine, it can cut a bunch of them in short order (4x8 sheets of whatever). I was thinking of doing some for Datsun L6s, that way I could make them to fit a particular damper, and true each one up individually.

Pete
JeepGuy24
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by JeepGuy24 »

Great idea of putting it on there and then cutting a tooth off! That way you don't need to worry about getting the mounting holes in exactly the right place and such.