Water Injection Question?

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

2001dodgeneonrt
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Water Injection Question?

Post by 2001dodgeneonrt »

I am getting a W/I kit that has a solenoid and im wanting to know if
1. Using the pwm feature associated with x3 requires using inj cha#2 for this? If so does this mean that I could not use cha#2 for injectors?
2. If I cannot use cha#2 I plan on turning on the pump and solenoid, but want to prime the pump for x sec then turn on the solenoid. Is this possible?

Thx for the help guys.
"MS is too much control" Stockneon
My Success Story...
risu
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Water Injection Question?

Post by risu »

2001dodgeneonrt wrote:I am getting a W/I kit that has a solenoid and im wanting to know if
1. Using the pwm feature associated with x3 requires using inj cha#2 for this? If so does this mean that I could not use cha#2 for injectors?

As fas as I've understood this, x3 is pulsed at the same rate as cha#2 WHEN water injection requirements are met, in normal use cha#2 works as it is and when WI treshold values are ok x3 starts to follow cha#2 pulse. So if you're only going to wire up cha#2 directly to WI-solenoid, you'll have to power the WI solenoid from x2 WI pumprelay circuit. This would prevent solenoid movement when requirements for WI haven't met (stuff like low MAP can be taken in account with cha#2 table but you cannot monitor low intake temp with fuel tables).
2001dodgeneonrt wrote:2. If I cannot use cha#2 I plan on turning on the pump and solenoid, but want to prime the pump for x sec then turn on the solenoid. Is this possible?
If possible, I'd use x3 for solenoid and get WI injector sized 15% of your total fuel inj capasity. That way you can use cha#1 and cha#2 for fuel as they are. If you want to have full control for WI pulsewidth you are left with only one fuel channel.
Tiara Kit Car - MsnS-E
2001dodgeneonrt
Helpful MS/Extra'er

thx for the reply. I think I want to keep the 2 fuel banks so Im just gonna get a checkvalve and call it a day :) LOL
My Success Story...
2001dodgeneonrt
Helpful MS/Extra'er

OK, one more question. I want to use MS to engage the pump. Rather then use a relay to power up pump, can I use the ground circuit for solenoid to turn on pump? Or will that be too juch voltage through the irlz44 component? Thx.
My Success Story...
daxtojeiro
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by daxtojeiro »

Hi there,
the water inj function is incorporated into 2 seperate outputs, none of these outputs are the fuel injector outputs, these are not effected in any way. When the water inj threshold is met: i.e. Air Temp > xx RPM > yyy MAP >zzzz then the water pump output comes on and the Pulsed output pulses at the same rate as the fuel, this is so the water percentage follows the fuel delivery, other wise you can get too much water at the start then not enough as the boost increases.
Phil
http://www.msextra.com/manuals/MS_Extra ... _Index.htm for MS1 Extra Manuals
http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/ for MS2-Extra Manuals
http://www.extraefi.co.uk/cobra/accobra.htm 5.0L TVR powered Cobra Replica (MSnS-E)
2001dodgeneonrt
Helpful MS/Extra'er

IC, ty very much.
My Success Story...