Success! - Megasquirt is Awesome - Pics added 05/17/06

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

SMALOR
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Success! - Megasquirt is Awesome - Pics added 05/17/06

Post by SMALOR »

Fired up my 351W powered ski boat this weekend running MS1 ver 2.2 with MSnSE 024s13c.

Started right up and ran very well on generated VE table (once I installed working injectors) using custom port injection system with TFI and relay board. Megasquirt is controlling fuel and spark. The throttle response even un-tuned is incredible. I am very excited.

My advice is to test all injectors on bench before installing. Mine were brand new and (6) of the (8) did not fire. I tapped them on my bench vise a couple of times and bench tested them again and got them working. If high impedence injectors don't click when 12v is applied they don't work. I rigged up a spare injector plug with longer pig tails and applied air pressure to inlet in order to test. Just put a little fuel injector cleaner in the top apply the air pressure and hit the power to check spray pattern. This system works very well.

Can't wait to hit the lake to start tuning.

I'll try and post some pictures later.
Last edited by SMALOR on Wed May 17, 2006 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
SMALOR
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Pictures

Post by SMALOR »

Here are a couple of pics. I used a Ford lower intake from an F150 and fabricated the upper intake myself. I'm running the F150 throttle body with PWM IAC (warmup only) which works very well.

Got some 24lb injectors from ebay along with full roller rockers and a performance cam to top of a fresh rebuild.

Running megasquirt V2.2 with MSnSE code 024s13c with relay board. Megasquirt is controlling fuel and spark via a Ford TFI distributor.

Tuning is going quite well even though I am not running an oxygen sensor or thermocouple. I left an extra wire in my harness in case I add one later.

I skiied behind this boat (2) days ago. It was incredible. I'll probably do a little more tuning but it's pretty close. Looking forward to lots of skiing this summer.

I purchased all of my stuff from Jerry at DIY Autotune. He is very dedicated and I will be making all future purchases through him.

My next project is twin superchargers on the Ford 302 in my 1927 model T. I started on that this past weekend - lot of aluminum fabrication to do - I'll probably run a similar setup as far as megasquirt is concerned.

Thank you to all the helpful dedicated people on these forums.

MegaScott was extremely helpful and his patience with me and all others on the forums is amazing.
MegaScott
MS/Extra Guru

Post by MegaScott »

Smalor,

The custom EFI intake looks very slick. Good Idea using the 460 throttle valve. Super cool!! Very nice job!! 8) 8)

Thanks for the Props, I hope your T buildup goes as well as this!! :D

Cheers!!
SMALOR
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by SMALOR »

The throttle valve is from a 351W/5.8 - 1988 F150.

I like these valves because the TPS and PWM IAC is built in to them. Also, I drill and tap for the IAT sensor just upstream of the throttle blades on the bottom side.

Seems to work well - no heat soak detectable on the IAT.

I'm thinking of running two of these valves on my T project - Just have to figure out the throttle linkage.