Neon/420aMod__TractionControlIssue__RPM Based

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

dmarino
MS/Extra Newbie

Neon/420aMod__TractionControlIssue__RPM Based

Post by dmarino »

Hello everyone i have the rs-autosport v2.2 ms. It is running msns extra 25v2 firmware and a recent mt. I am having an issue where when traction control "rev based" is on, the car shuts off every few minutes. I have a feeling this is from some rpm spike or noise that activates TC intern killing the car at idle. Now i have my wires cleanly ran and the car suffers from no other rpm spike related issues. The data logs even look reasonably smooth. Do to the car driving great i would be most interested in a software modification to reduce sensitivity to the rpm spike that must be happening. Would their be a way to easily tell the ms to ignore a increase in rpm unless it occurs for x amount of time or cycles? Thus decreasing sensitive in favor of reducing accidental TC activation. Also if there is a good way to reduce noise on this crank position sensor "looks fine on a datalog"?

Please help me get rpm based TC working my car is very unmanageable in the first 4 gears with out it :P.

Also i love my MS!!!
Last edited by dmarino on Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

That entire idea of traction control (at least on RPM based) was invented by me about 2 years ago. Very few people have ever tried to play with it based on the number of questions we get about it. The problem, as you pointed out, is the resolution of the code and the ability to use this relitivly course calculation for something that may be tougher than we expected. Do a data log and then turn on RPM/sec in the data loging software to get an I dea of what we are up against.

AW
dmarino
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dmarino »

I will do this tonight. I was thinking that we could eliminate these false activations if we made the TC require that the rpm event is greater then or equal to the increase, (that is large enough to activate TC) for like 2-3 cycles before it activates TC. Does this seem like a logical/possible approach?

Thank you for your input! Traction control would be an amazing feature for my car.
dmarino
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dmarino »

Alright i did not have time to post the datalogg but i was thinking could we just add "active above x tps"???? That seems like it would resolve my key issue.
boost junkie
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by boost junkie »

Kind of a hack but you can add this yourself if want to test it. Open up the source code and find the "TractionSystem:" label. After the "brset" statements try something like:

Code: Select all

lda     tps
  cmp     #200T
  blo     No_TC_Yet
Change the #200T to whatever raw TPS value you want. If it seems to work good then someone can add a variable for megatune<->extra comms...

You could also use: "cmp tpsflood_f" to just use the current "tps flood clear" value. That way you could change the value with megatune.
dmarino
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dmarino »

Thanks for the input. I am a bit unfamiliar with the raw tps values but will do a bit of research and check this out. I also take it that after i make this modification i need to recompile the firmware and reflash my unit?
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

You know dmarino, you really need to try to control those impulses, I think they even frown on that sort of thing in Ann Arbor. . . . :lol:

<sorry, I couldn't resist! Did you do that on purpose?>

This is an awesome thread, sorry I had to clutter it up with nonsense! :D

Thad
dmarino
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dmarino »

:lol: :lol: :lol: opps
boost junkie
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by boost junkie »

dmarino wrote:Thanks for the input. I am a bit unfamiliar with the raw tps values but will do a bit of research and check this out. I also take it that after i make this modification i need to recompile the firmware and reflash my unit?
Correct, just do those mods and run the "compile.bat" script. That will kick out a new msns-extra.s19 file

You can get the tps raw value from the tools->calibrate tps menu. Put the throttle where you want and hit 'get current'. I think it'l be easiest to just use the current flood clear value so you can change it on the fly.