hardware mods in order to use MSnS-E ignition on MS1 V3.0

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

914Nick
MS/Extra Newbie

hardware mods in order to use MSnS-E ignition on MS1 V3.0

Post by 914Nick »

Now that i've read enough about ignition control, i think i've read too much and got a bit lost...
I'll be using my Ms setup to run a subaru coil pack on a subaru EJ20 N/A engine (attachement shows module diagram) with the wheel decoder. After reading the MSnS-E recommendations for harware modifications, i still can't figure out what to do exactly:
1- Can i use one cam AND one crank sensor? (not the subaru's original ones 'cuz i know those won't work) if not what are my options? i think the diagram shows a waisted spark setup....
2- What jumbers should i connect?
3- I'm using the VB921 ingnition drivers, where do those mount on the board and how are they connected to the coil pack?
4- are there any other harware mods to do?
5- Do i need to build a dual lm1815 or dual v3 vr conditioner circuit, if so, where do i get info on those?
I guess that's it..........for now
I'm sure that most of those issues have been adressed in earlier posts, but i always end up getting lost with the details relative to each different setup....
Nickel_5000tq
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: hardware mods in order to use MSnS-E ignition on MS1 V3.

Post by Nickel_5000tq »

The simple way is to use 36-1 gear on the crank.

Jump Taselect to VRin
Jump Tsel to VRout or VRoutinv (read on msefi.com)

VB921:
330ohm from topR26 to 1stVB921 to IGTBIN (close to the db-37) for coil A. Pin2 = output : jump IGN to IGTBout (close to db-37).= pin 36 db-37.
330ohm from topR29 to 2nd VB921 pin 1 for coil B. pin2 output= wire to IAC1A pin 25 db-37(can use what ever IAC output)

pin3 of both are grounded.

wire pin 36 to coil A
wire pin 25 to coil B
wire 2nd pin of both coils together to 12V fused.

If you use 1 gear on the crank and 1 gear on the cam you ll need one more VR interface. There is already one on the V3.

use the last link down here for you VB921 connections:(dont use the hall effect setup on this board since you run VR)

914Nick wrote:Now that i've read enough about ignition control, i think i've read too much and got a bit lost...
I'll be using my Ms setup to run a subaru coil pack on a subaru EJ20 N/A engine (attachement shows module diagram) with the wheel decoder. After reading the MSnS-E recommendations for harware modifications, i still can't figure out what to do exactly:
1- Can i use one cam AND one crank sensor? (not the subaru's original ones 'cuz i know those won't work) if not what are my options? i think the diagram shows a waisted spark setup....
2- What jumbers should i connect?
3- I'm using the VB921 ingnition drivers, where do those mount on the board and how are they connected to the coil pack?
4- are there any other harware mods to do?
5- Do i need to build a dual lm1815 or dual v3 vr conditioner circuit, if so, where do i get info on those?
I guess that's it..........for now
I'm sure that most of those issues have been adressed in earlier posts, but i always end up getting lost with the details relative to each different setup....
http://www.efi4tuning.com/projects/NEON ... tuning.JPG