advanced idle control

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

tapedshoes
Helpful MS/Extra'er

advanced idle control

Post by tapedshoes »

how do i enable the new idle control menu options in 029q? is this only for pwm valve users? some info on this new feature would be much appreciated
Keithg
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Keithg »

Basically by selecting 'closed loop' in the firsrt box of the first page and by having an appropriate transistor for driving it.

Then the fun begins... Really, the basic values are a starting point only. What valve are you using?

KeithG
tapedshoes
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by tapedshoes »

im using no valve, well, there IS a valve connected hose wise, but there is no signal or anything going towords it. Its just a simple on/off (fast idle). I just saw that the boxes were grayed out. I heard a rumor that this version of msnse will have a setting that you can set a given fuel and spark value for idle, eliminating the "hunting" that goes on when you have the idle run off of the fuel and spark maps.
dieselgeek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by dieselgeek »

tapedshoes wrote:im using no valve, well, there IS a valve connected hose wise, but there is no signal or anything going towords it. Its just a simple on/off (fast idle). I just saw that the boxes were grayed out. I heard a rumor that this version of msnse will have a setting that you can set a given fuel and spark value for idle, eliminating the "hunting" that goes on when you have the idle run off of the fuel and spark maps.

Surging idle is a result of bad tuning. Too many people try to mask bad idle tuning by implementing idle control.

Keep VEs flat around the idle area, and slope the timing map such that lower rpms than target idle have more timing, and rpms above target idle have less. You should be able to resolve a completely stable, non-surging idle (warmed up) before diving into idle control.

this is my opinion, but it's worked for me on many cars.
Squirted: it's easier to list the ones I haven't squirted. I need to do more motorcycle engines!
tapedshoes
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by tapedshoes »

yes, i completely agree that you can have a very tasty idle with having the tables tuned just right...

however, if i can have just a static setting for my idle (idle settings), then i can scale my spark and fuel maps up for more resolution since i dont have to have those values in the bottom left worrying about the idle, see my train of thought?