Cutting crank wheel for toothed ring?

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

JeepGuy24
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Cutting crank wheel for toothed ring?

Post by JeepGuy24 »

I have a three belt crank pulley and I was trying to think out how to mount a 36-1 wheel to it. I was wondering if it would be OK to just notch the center peak, or whether the belts will catch on this. I know that the valleys of the tooth ring don't need to be exceptionally deep, so I don't think it would affect the integrity of the crank pulley.

The crank pulley loks sorta like this (will post real picture later tonight)

vvv

Unfortunately I need to keep all the belts on there as it requires two belts to turn my AC and cs144 alternator. Just looking for suggestion, and I'll get a pic of the setup on here later tonight.
Jack
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Jack »

If you chamfer the edges of the cuts, the belts should be fine. I cut seven half moons in the pulley on my 1960 Triumph TR3 to use as timing marks; i.e., every 5 degrees. The belt rides right on those cuts. There have been no issues or accelerated wear.

But. . . . most of the tirgger wheels are fairly thin and can be assembled between your pulleys or on the inside most edge of the pulley array. You may want to look these options instead. They should be easier to implement.

Jack
Good judgment comes from experience.
And where does experience come from?
Experience comes from bad judgment.
. . . . . . . Mark Twain
JeepGuy24
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by JeepGuy24 »

One of the problems is that the base of the pulley sits so close to the engine that it would be almost impossible to get the sensor in there to read it. I'm also afraid of pulley misalignment, but I guess cutting up the pulley also is a concern :? There is only one realy good spot to mount the sensor, and I have an extra crank pulley that I could play with.

Oh, this is an AMC 360 in an 88 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. It has waterpump, Alt, AC, PS, and Smog pump all run off of the belt system. I'm planning on ditching the smog pump. Depends on how clean I can get it. I'd rather have the mileage if it runs clean enough without the pump.
JeepGuy24
Helpful MS/Extra'er

the crank

Post by JeepGuy24 »

the crank