Electric Cutout - MAF or MAP

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

LimaXray
MS/Extra Newbie

Electric Cutout - MAF or MAP

Post by LimaXray »

So I'm in the process of building a new downpipe and am planning on incorporating an electric cutout. What I want to do is have a toggle switch in the cabin that will let me select closed, open, or MS controlled. MS would open it above a certain RPM or MAP or whatever. (apparently it takes ~4 seconds to go from fully closed to fully open so I think this would be a viable option)

Anyway, now the question is how to I handle metering the airflow with this setup. If I stick with MAP, I would have to use table switching because the VE values will change depending if it is open or closed. The current table would be selected depending on the polarity of the power to the cutout valve. This would be easy enough, but the problem I see with this is for those few seconds it is opening/closing it's going to run rich/lean. I'm guessing this will be minimal because the biggest change in VE will be right as it opens/closes. Another issue is I was kind of hoping to use table switching as an easy way to switch between gasoline and ethanol, but that's not as important.

The other option would be to use MAF. Because MAF doesn't depend on VE, I could use the same fuel table regardless of the cutout's state. I'm not sure of the state of MAF with MSnS-E; is it a good solid option? Also, one of my main reasons for going with MAP is to be able to remove my MAF from before the turbo making it 1)easier to implement, 2)less of a restriction, and 3)I can vent my diverter valve to the atmosphere which is of course *bling* *bling* (and again easier). If I were to use MAF, I would put the sensor after the turbo because that eliminates most of the before mentioned problems without the need to buy a 3" MAF housing. Now is it a problem to put the MAF sensor after the turbo? Also, how well does autotune work with MAF tables?

Which would be a better route? Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys
1999 Audi A4 1.8t Quattro, Garrett T3/T04e, MSnS-E
100% GIAC and APR Free!