Weak spark..?Does any Ford edis coilpacks replace eachother?

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

3VZ-FE
MS/Extra Newbie

Weak spark..?Does any Ford edis coilpacks replace eachother?

Post by 3VZ-FE »

Hi.

I've wired up my Edis 6 now, and the spark is too weak. I have new plugs and cabels, so think my coilpack is bad. It woun't run on all 6. Can i replace the US coilpack i have, with an european mondeo v6 pack? They use the same resistance and dwell time..?

Do these coilpacks "wear out"...? (Bought mine used from e-bay)
Last edited by 3VZ-FE on Mon May 15, 2006 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MR2 SW20
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

As far as I'm aware the coilpacks are interchangeable. But if all sparks are weak that seems odd. You might expect one coil (two towers) to go bad, but not all three at the same time.

Maybe plug gap setting?

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
3VZ-FE
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 3VZ-FE »

jsmcortina wrote:As far as I'm aware the coilpacks are interchangeable. But if all sparks are weak that seems odd. You might expect one coil (two towers) to go bad, but not all three at the same time.

Maybe plug gap setting?

James
I also think it's a bit weird this. But i'm a newbie so i could be missing something.. The gap is the same as oem, 1.1 mm. (0,0433"..?) Engine is a 3vz-fe, toyota 3.0 L v6.

I got a tip on testing the spark, and tried that today. As i was told, the spark while cranking should be strong enough to leap at least 10 mm between ground, and a screwdriver replacing the plug... The spark had no problem with this, but later now it came to me that i probably also should have tested the other wasted spark, i mean both at the same time leaping 10mm....? The spark looks very weak with the plugs grounded, and out of the cyl, so at this point it seems the plugs is a problem.. The plugs are brand new NGK's, the correct ones out of their catalog for my engine. The catalog said platinum actually, but i got the standard ones with all the specs matching except platinum. As far as i know, that should not present any problem.

The problem anyway is the engine is running on only 4 cyl. Comp and fuel is present, not sure if the spark is strong enough when if sits in the cyl and pressure and fuel is present. I was also thinking since i bought my engine as a longblock, and i don't know how long it has been standing still, it might need some warming up and maybe try driving a little to "wake it up again".

Anyone have a suggestion for me what to try? Maybe i should try and narrow the gap a little....?

:)
Last edited by 3VZ-FE on Mon May 15, 2006 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MR2 SW20
PSIG
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by PSIG »

Try grounding the paired plugs to each other for testing if possible. I use a rubber band to hold them together for spark testing. Also check your Radio Suppressor connection that should be under one of the coil mounting bolts for good contact. The suppressor is usually a small cylinder (USA) or cube. Finally check your EDIS ground connections to ensure the whole electical path is good on both the low and high voltage circuits on the engine and the body.

Hope that helps.
3VZ-FE
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 3VZ-FE »

PSIG wrote:Try grounding the paired plugs to each other for testing if possible. I use a rubber band to hold them together for spark testing. Also check your Radio Suppressor connection that should be under one of the coil mounting bolts for good contact. The suppressor is usually a small cylinder (USA) or cube. Finally check your EDIS ground connections to ensure the whole electical path is good on both the low and high voltage circuits on the engine and the body.

Hope that helps.
Hmmm... I have the oem toyota suppressor... :oops: It's connected between + and - on the ignition circuit.. So i should have an edis suppressor instead? :oops:
MR2 SW20
PSIG
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by PSIG »

The Toyota one may be fine if connected between the coil +12v supply and engine ground. If disconnecting it makes no spark difference - test it. The EDIS version has about 25uF capacitance so if yours is similar you should be okay. Image
3VZ-FE
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 3VZ-FE »

Was testing a little the other day, found out cyl 2 and 5 is not firing while enigne running. These two is running from the same coil. The other 4 cyls are running very smooth and steady. I've ordered a new coilpack, for a -94 euro mondeo v6 2,5. So we'll see if it's the same. Haven't measured the impedance of the coils yet then. The coils wasn't too expencive, so took the chance.
MR2 SW20
3VZ-FE
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 3VZ-FE »

The 1994 european mondeo v6 coilpack looks exactly like the u.s one, and works great. Also found the problem: http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?p=12 ... ion#121957
MR2 SW20