Edis question

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

mitsuko
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Edis question

Post by mitsuko »

Guy's , I'm trying to help out a couple of kids who choose megasquirt as an end of term project . They have a dyno session in two days from now , but they've got no spark and no rpm signal to ms . So , as I'm not an edis expert , I'de like to brainstorm a little with the more experianced people round here .

Scoped the VR sensor and it gives abt 1Volt AC with the typical edis waveform with the missing tooth clearly visible .
Swapping vr sensor polarity doesn't help .

With pip and saw disconnected , no spark when cranking the engine .
Spark tested by removing the spark plugs and grounding them on the engine block . With pip and saw disconnected , I should see spark at 10° right ? btw , what should pip and saw signals look like ? Any scope images available ?

Engine is a std zetec with the stock sensor and trigger wheel in stock location . Engine ran before it was megasquirted , VR sensor and trigger wheel position have not been touched .

The edis module has been tested on another car and it fires right up .

Megasquirt doens't see any rpm signal . RPM gauge goes to zero after one second .

Megasquirt functions correct on the stim . ie inj led flashing , fp relay not clicking rapidly , rpm pots functioning etc .
Led D17 "squirting" when set to display squirt instead of spark etc .

So I'm running out of options now .
Any help greatly appreciated .

Pat
pato
MS/Extra Newbie

PIP required

Post by pato »

Disconnecting SAW will default the EDIS to "limp home" mode at 10deg BTDC advance. PIP is required to stay connected.
--pato
'82 Fiat Spider (MSnEDIS)
'97 4Runner
rs2000
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by rs2000 »

as an extension of what pato says, if you disconnect the saw then you should get spark, independant of what megasquirt is doing. This is limp home mode. If you don't get spark, then i'd guess your problem is in the wiring of the edis module.
mitsuko
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by mitsuko »

Looks like the problem is solved .

One of the contacts inside the edis connector was not secured by the plastic notch . When the connector was plugged in , it simply pushed that contact upwards , causing the module not to receive a vr sensor signal .

It's sparking now in limb home mode .
Tomorrow they'll hook up the megasquirt again .
Fingers crossed ...
:D

Pat