No Tach signal. BMW M30, 60-2, MS1 V3, MSD Ignition box

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

grebnut
MS/Extra Newbie

No Tach signal. BMW M30, 60-2, MS1 V3, MSD Ignition box

Post by grebnut »

Hey guys, I am having an odd problem. I'm hoping it's something stupid that I'm doing wrong.

As the topic says, it's a BMW M30 engine, MS1 V3 board, 60-2 with an electromotive sensor and a billet machined bracket.

It is a rs autosport box, and I found one problem, that the TSEL was jumpered to VROUT intstead of the VROUTINV, but that is fixed now.

Running MT 2.25 029q code, (although the Megatune thinks its 029b, every other function works fine. I have also read that that is "normal" because of the stuff with the new code. Not sure, but it seems to work fine)

Spark settings:

Trig ang = 60
no add

Cranking timing = trig return

Spark out INV = Yes

Fixed ang = -10
trim= 0

Code config = generic wheel (everything else is off)

Spark out is LED 17, everything else is normal.

WHEEL DECODER SETTINGS

Base Teeth = 60
Missing teeth = -2

(the bracket puts the 18th tooth under the sensor at tdc. so if i'm reading the diagram on the msns extra site right, that should be "tooth 20")

Trig pos A = 10
Trig ret A = 18
Trig pos B = 30
Trig ret B = 38
Trig pos C = 50
Trig ret C = 58

So, I get no tach signal at all. Nothing. I know the wiring is intact and proper to the sensor. All sheilded and connected.

I suspect the sensor and my own setup mistakes the most. As far as i can tell, the box is setup properly, but no gaurantees.

I would appreciate any help or advice. Thanks,

Ben Rogoza
'85 740Ti Volvo
'88 BMW M3
PeterCip
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by PeterCip »

make sure the pots are adjusted fully counterclockwise.. And be sure that the software is not on the Stim for wheel decode setting.
V3 - MS1 mainboard.
MSNS-E 029v 60-2 wheeldecoder.
024s7 Decoder module.
Full Spark and Fuel control; single coil -distributer.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: No Tach signal. BMW M30, 60-2, MS1 V3, MSD Ignition box

Post by jsmcortina »

grebnut wrote:Running MT 2.25 029q code, (although the Megatune thinks its 029b, every other function works fine. I have also read that that is "normal" because of the stuff with the new code. Not sure, but it seems to work fine)
If Megatune says 029b at the top of the window then that's what it is. Grab 029q2 and re-install to be sure. Save your settings first.

There were a few tweaks to the wheel decoder that may help you get rpm when cranking.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
grebnut
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by grebnut »

I have the 029q2 firmware on the MS, but cannot find the newest release of MegaTune that includes the 029q2 in the configurator. The closest I can come is 029b.

Thanks!
Ben
'85 740Ti Volvo
'88 BMW M3
grebnut
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by grebnut »

OK, so I figured how to properly set up the megatune to read 029q and it is now not giving me an error code on startup.

Though, dissapointingly, the tach signal did not come up.

We put it on the scope and it is a proper 60-2 signal with about .25 volts on cranking. Is that enough?

I have both pots set to full counter clockwise and still get absolutely nothing from the tach gauge. I have never even had a blip.

Ben
'85 740Ti Volvo
'88 BMW M3
theturbodog
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by theturbodog »

You might try the pots all the way the other way just in case they got put in backwards. I ended up having to just turn my pots a few turns at a time as I tested until I got something.
grebnut
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by grebnut »

the xg1 was jumpered to xg2 so i pulled that jumper off. Still no change. I also went through all the components in the entire VR decoder circuit and the only other thing I could find wrong was R42 and R55 have .684K ohm resistors in them instead of the directed 1k ohm. Will this cause NO tach signal at all?

I still dont even have a blip.

Also, what is the suggested method of testing diodes while still on the board? wont they tend to backfeed? and do I have to isolate it (desolder and benchtest?)?

Thanks,

Ben
'85 740Ti Volvo
'88 BMW M3
grebnut
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by grebnut »

Just for the record, I figured it all out and it runs like a champ! 10X better than it did with the electromotive POS.

There was a whole bunch of stuff screwed up with the board. There was a jumper on two terminals that are supposed to be for a hall sensor input, so I pulled that off. And also both pots were installed backwards, so I had to turn both screws in all the way.

Thanks for the help.

Ben Rogoza
'85 740Ti Volvo
'88 BMW M3