EDIS / Toothed wheel

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

JSchlappi82
Helpful MS/Extra'er

EDIS / Toothed wheel

Post by JSchlappi82 »

Picked up some EDIS components at the junkyard.
But they didn't have a trigger wheel! d***!

My question is: in the megasquirtnspark/extra edis installation there is a picture, which show a 25 uF radio suppression also called 1 inch plastic tube, which goes to ground.

On the mounting surface of the coils on the ford there was a little plastic box, is this what i need?
There isn't more information about the box or the suppression in the pages...

EDIS 4 module, coil-pack and VR-sensor:
http://members.home.nl/schlappi/PICT000 ... 20view.jpg

Wiring:
http://members.home.nl/schlappi/edis4wiring.gif

Plastic box:
http://members.home.nl/schlappi/PICT000 ... 20view.jpg
Last edited by JSchlappi82 on Wed May 24, 2006 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
motown menace
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by motown menace »

The US version of the 25uF supressor looks different so i'm not 100% positive that that's it, but it looks like it should be. Ours is also bolted to the coil in most cases.

The center pin of the coil which goes to the 25Uf dosen't exactly go to ground. You run +12 volts to the 25uF then the other wire comes out of the 25uF and goes to the center pin of the coil pack connector. The 25uF supressor gets bolted to the chassis and creats a ground. What the supressor does is ground certian frequences while still letting the +12 volts pass thru ungrounded to power the coil. The ground path is thru the body of the 25uF where it bolts to bare metal.
Last edited by motown menace on Sun May 21, 2006 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JSchlappi82
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by JSchlappi82 »

The plastic box was grounded/mounted to the same bracket as the coils were.

But in the diagram it shows the +12 goes to the EDIS module and the plastic box, and grounded through housing.

Can i mount it just like in the diagram, or not?

How have others done this, i think they didn't use the suppressor?

Greets, Joris
motown menace
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by motown menace »

Your correct. Most people don't use the supressor.

I didn't use one either. I just ran +12 volts straight to the coil. It work's just fine for me.
MegaScott
MS/Extra Guru

Post by MegaScott »

JSchlappi82 wrote:The plastic box was grounded/mounted to the same bracket as the coils were.

But in the diagram it shows the +12 goes to the EDIS module and the plastic box, and grounded through housing.

Can i mount it just like in the diagram, or not?

How have others done this, i think they didn't use the suppressor?

Greets, Joris
The supressor, (you have the right one) comes in several styles. The supressors here in the States commonly look like plain old "condensors" from a points distributer. The european variety have plastic boxes, either black or grey, with a mount to ground with a lead that goes to the 12V feed. I have heard of people having problems with misfire without it installed, If it were me I'd put it in. Mount the box to ground using the mounting lug provided, the coil mount is ok as long as it is mounted to the engine though a metal bracket. The wire on the grey box should connect to the 12V wire of the coil.
JSchlappi82
Helpful MS/Extra'er

MSnS EDIS or Wheel decoder?

Post by JSchlappi82 »

Thanks for the info, i missed that bit on the extra site!

Read the extra-site a little better, and found out the EDIS setup is different as the wheel decoder setup! :oops:

What would be the best setup for me? I'm using a VW 1.8 16v engine, balanced crank, worked head, cams, and ITB's.

Will the wheel-decoder setup be different in use from the EDIS setup?

In EDIS mode the VR-sensor will report crank rpm and TDC to the EDIS module, and the EDIS module will report RPM to the megasquirt. Then i won't have dwell control?

In wheel-decoder mode the VR-sensor will report rpm and TDC to the megasquirt, will this have advantages?

What would be the best setup? I know i'm asking a lot of questions, but i want to set it up right, instead of building something and having to change it later....

Thanks, Joris.