4g63 igniter Q

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Fast spec 2
MS/Extra Newbie

4g63 igniter Q

Post by Fast spec 2 »

92 galant VR4, 4g63 engine. MSV3 board, want to run msnse.

Built the v3 board, all tests are good to go thus far. I want to run msnse to get spark control. I would like to use the factory igniter to run the system. The only info I could find it terms of instructions are for the 2.2 board and how to wire another driver transister in the box for the waste control. I want to use the factory harnes, I got a molex conector for the factory harness and would like to build an adapter to connect the 2. This way I don't need to do an entire harness, or if the results aren't what I was after I can remove the MS and go back to the current maft system.
So is there a how-to somewhere to use the factory ignitir and only the driver that comes in the kit on the v3 board?

So far this project is a blast, getting megatune to swing the dials back and forth was almost wortyh it right there. Thanks for everyone that keeps this going, its an experience that I am truly having a good time with.

Thanks for the help guys.
boost junkie
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by boost junkie »

If you want to use the factory ignitor then you don't need the megasquirt ignition driver. You should do the output mod like this:

http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra ... 17-d19.jpg

Except with the V3 board schematic:

http://www.megasquirt.info/ms2/v3pcb_7.gif

Use any spare output pins you like. Then run those outputs to the 4G63 ignitor. For spark control, set inverted to "No". I ran this setup on my neon with a 4g63 ignitor and it worked quite well...
Fast spec 2
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Fast spec 2 »

So to get this strait. All I need to add is the 2 1k resistors from r24 and r28, run them to the proto area I assume, then run a "t" from the other end of each new 1k resistor to the harness conector pin of my choice, and the ground side of the 2 led's, D#14 and D#16. Basically adding the part of the cuircuit thats in black on the first link. Is this on track? Or did I miss the boat? Thanks alot.
Fast spec 2
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Fast spec 2 »

I got to looking at it, I was a bit confused but I got it now I think, My only question left is rather then x11 and x12, what locations do the jumpers go with the v3 labels? Am I correct that x-12=ign on the v3 board and x11=iac2b? Hope that is right, it kinda makes sense. Am I correct in assuming this?

Thanks again everyone
boost junkie
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by boost junkie »

Those outputs will work. You can use any un-used "spare" pin you want.