Fuel Pump Ground Issue

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

trwebb26
MS/Extra Newbie

Fuel Pump Ground Issue

Post by trwebb26 »

I just got my 78' 280z running with a v3.0 board and MS&SE v29j. When you turn on the ignition - the fuel pump primes for 2 seconds just like it is supposed to, but pin 37 doesn't ground out during cranking. The only way I could start the engine was to manually ground the fuel pump relay ground to the chasis. Megatune reads the RPM fine - so I know that it is sensing cranking. What could be wrong? I would like to retain the added safety the megasquirt provides by controlling the switched ground. Thanks in advance for the help.
boost junkie
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by boost junkie »

Does it work on the stim? Could it be a hardware problem with the fuel pump circuit?
trwebb26
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by trwebb26 »

I don't own a stim... but the fact that the pump primes just fine leads me to believe that something is wrong. Anybody?
MegaScott
MS/Extra Guru

Post by MegaScott »

Is your fuel pump relay powered off a source that has power all the time, even when cranking, it sounds like your fuel pump power is going away when you crank, if the Megasquirt is seeing RPM when you crank, even 1 rpm, it will turn on the fuel pump. do you see RPM in Megatune when you crank? You could have an ignition power problem as well.
trwebb26
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by trwebb26 »

The same switched +12V that powers the megasquirt also powers the fuel pump realy. I do show RPM when cranking in Megasquirt.
MegaScott
MS/Extra Guru

Post by MegaScott »

The best advice I can give when you have a problem like this is to clean the board, check for solder bridges and cold solder joints, check the cables for bad connections.

Oh, you can try reflashing your firmware and see if that make a difference. save your .msq and VE files first then reflash the firmware.