Help with sensor wiring

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

kilvo
MS/Extra Newbie

Help with sensor wiring

Post by kilvo »

hi all, im wiring my ms to my car and have a few questions about conncting up. im using MS3 with V1 and MSnSe code, i have a vauxhall 20 16v engine with dis pack

now i have connected up the injectors fine, and the spark to my spark control module (0 227 100 200) ecu dwell control.

now my car has a crank sensor 60/2 but also has a cam sensor, now how do i connect them both up or do i just connect the crank sensor and not use the cam sensor, also on my ignition control module i have 4 wires 2 to control spark, what would the other 2 be for any help woul be great cos i want her started today if i can
screamer69
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by screamer69 »

just use the crank sensor u dont need cam sensor m8 as far as the dis i dont no coz im using coil :D
2.0 8v turbo 10.7 standing 1/4@136mph on m/s fastest mk2 astra 8vt in europe !!!
2.0 turbo tigra 10.1 standing 1/4 @ 145 mph with problems :( havent turned the boost up yet
kilvo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by kilvo »

cool, i wont connect that up then, all connected apart from i just noticed it is only one wires left from spark control, assume this would be an earth ill go try it now
hzdistributor
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by hzdistributor »

Screamer:

Your car is a VW 2.0L 8V?
kilvo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by kilvo »

Think they are the same type of engine aint they, might be wrong tho.

now i connected it up and no no no, nothing

Fuel Pump Primes and can hear Injectors go squirt, but i aint getting a RPM signal, now i am assuming its a Hall sensor, so have set the jumpers on the V3 pcb. but i still aint getting out its driving me bloomin mad. i just want it to work so i can start the turbo conversion :(
screamer69
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by screamer69 »

hzdistributor wrote:Screamer:

Your car is a VW 2.0L 8V?
vauxhall 2.0 8v
2.0 8v turbo 10.7 standing 1/4@136mph on m/s fastest mk2 astra 8vt in europe !!!
2.0 turbo tigra 10.1 standing 1/4 @ 145 mph with problems :( havent turned the boost up yet
screamer69
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by screamer69 »

how u got the crank sensor wired up ????

if u have cut the plug on the crank sensor u will see 2 wirs and the outer ground ( off the top of my head i carnt remeber what colours ) but this is how ive got mine wired i took the main signal wire from the vr ciruit and put that to the crank sensor and then i got the ground and the outer ground on the crank sens and put them together and joined them to the ground on the vr ground

vr + to main wire in crank sensor
vr - to both ground and outer ground on crank sensor

worked for me

i spent weeks trying to get mine to work so i tryed it that way and it worked :shock:
kilvo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by kilvo »

ahh that could be it, i connected VR- to ground on the sensor the other ground to earth and the VR+ to the sensor +

ill give it a go this weekend, need to borrow a laptop cos mine broke after i could not get MS working LMAO (heavy handed)
kilvo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by kilvo »

still no joy with this, tried all sorts. i have deffo got everything wire uo correct apart from the crank sensor, im just not sure i was 99% sure it was a hall sensor so i set the pcb up for a hall circuit, but i still get no SIGNAL is there a way to test the sensor on a Multimeter to see if it works
sonicts

Post by sonicts »

Crank and cam sensor both vr sensors. Make sure MS is set to wheel decoder and your decoder setings as follows

Base teeth 60
missing teeth 2
trig pos a 10
trig pos b 40

Use only crank sensor.
kilvo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by kilvo »

ok dokey i have set up the VR circuit now and tunred both pots fully anti clockwise, but i just cant get her to fire. if the lambda sensor was a bit sick would this stop it!!! or if the map sensor of not working would this stop it??????

i have the spark paired as 1+2 3+4 and injectors as 1+2 3+4 VR circuit is working RPM signal, fuel pump is working. i used EasyTherm to set the Temp sensors
kilvo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by kilvo »

tried for 4 hours last night and it just wont fire, but while crancking its as if now and then it spark in the wrong way stopping it from cranking??? im going insane :( i need to get it running cos im moving house in 3 weeks