No timing advance

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

millhouse
Experienced MS/Extra'er

No timing advance

Post by millhouse »

Let's see...to start off..

I am running msns-e 029q with megatune v2.25 on a v3 main board.

The car…my 5.0l twin turbo mustang with mods as seen in my sig below.

I seem to have found the source of my melting hot engine compartment.
It seems that although all of my datalogs show spark advance (and retard) while driving….I don’t believe I am getting any.
I say this because I just checked out my base timing with a timing light and the spout pulled…and sure enough, it's at
10 degrees just as I left it last. I plugged my spout back in…and it's still sitting at 10*. I have my setup as per http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra/setup-tfi.html and have my spark table filled out (I'll post them later when I have access).

Any and all input would be appreciated.
1989 TT lx 5.0 (notch)
PCB v3.0
HR_10g
238ur50
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 238ur50 »

you have something wired wrong

what pins are using for your ign.

it should be pin 36 for spout and pin 24 for PIP

it sounds like the car is in limp home mode which will default to 10 degrees

Richie
millhouse
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by millhouse »

238ur50 wrote:you have something wired wrong

what pins are using for your ign.

it should be pin 36 for spout and pin 24 for PIP

it sounds like the car is in limp home mode which will default to 10 degrees

Richie
Thats how I have it. I just find it odd that msns-e is showing advance...even at idle yet I have none. I will triple check when I get home...but I already went through it when I was having troubles with my initial start.
MegaScott
MS/Extra Guru

Post by MegaScott »

You need to post your .msq

The Megasquirt has no way of checking that the spark is actually advancing, the guage is telling you what the advance is supposed to be.
millhouse
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by millhouse »

MegaScott wrote:You need to post your .msq

The Megasquirt has no way of checking that the spark is actually advancing, the guage is telling you what the advance is supposed to be.
I'll have to get to my latest .msq a bit later as I don’t have acess here at work. It's setup similar to my .msq shown in car-3 here...
http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=18 ... c&start=10 although my ve tables, ae enrichments etc. are different, the spark should be setup the same.

I understand what your saying about the puter not being able to distinguish weather or not the spark is advancing or not….which leads me (and everyone else it seems) to think that perhaps the problem is with my wiring. It makes sense…the megasquirt is trying to advance (shown per my datalogs)…yet the car is not actually responding.

Again, I'll check my wire setup (on the car) again when I get home…and I'll post my latest .msq file as well.
millhouse
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by millhouse »

Here is my latest .msq file...
Last edited by millhouse on Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1989 TT lx 5.0 (notch)
PCB v3.0
HR_10g
MegaScott
MS/Extra Guru

Post by MegaScott »

millhouse,

I looked at your .msq, you have both MSnS and TFI chosen, you can only have one or the other.
millhouse
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by millhouse »

MegaScott wrote:millhouse,

I looked at your .msq, you have both MSnS and TFI chosen, you can only have one or the other.
Hmm...now the question is would that cause the malfunction?

What a keen eye you have. 8)

I'll update yall when I....eh......update the cpu.
millhouse
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by millhouse »

Nada...didnt help at all. I screwed with all the spark settings and it didnt do jack. I went back and checked the wires and everything looks ok. I am using led 17 to control spark per the link above, so that left me with pin 36 wired to the spout. Is this correct?
MegaScott
MS/Extra Guru

Post by MegaScott »

millhouse wrote:Nada...didnt help at all. I screwed with all the spark settings and it didnt do jack. I went back and checked the wires and everything looks ok. I am using led 17 to control spark per the link above, so that left me with pin 36 wired to the spout. Is this correct?
If your jumper goes from the top lead of (LED14)D14, to IGN, and you have a 100-330 ohm resistor from s12 to IGN you should be good. The output of IGN is on the db37 pin 36 to Spout.
millhouse
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by millhouse »

MegaScott wrote:
millhouse wrote:Nada...didnt help at all. I screwed with all the spark settings and it didnt do jack. I went back and checked the wires and everything looks ok. I am using led 17 to control spark per the link above, so that left me with pin 36 wired to the spout. Is this correct?
If your jumper goes from the top lead of (LED14)D14, to IGN, and you have a 100-330 ohm resistor from s12 to IGN you should be good. The output of IGN is on the db37 pin 36 to Spout.
s12 to Ign with a 330 ohm resistor you say. Hmmm..... :lol: Off to the shack I go.
millhouse
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by millhouse »

Hmm...it's amazing how just a lil 330 ohm resistor makes such a difference :lol:

Anyways...thaks for the help once again. 8)