Opinions on simplest COP possible

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

DaHose
MS/Extra Newbie

Opinions on simplest COP possible

Post by DaHose »

I am working on a motorcycle and eventually a car with distributor. I am using a V2.2 board, I plan to load MSnS-E and run VB921's in a COP.

I had an original plan for the whole setup but my current understanding is that a cam sensor, at cam speed is all that I need to control spark and that will even allow for individual coil firing if I don't want do go wasted spark.

Would I still need a crank trigger, or would a 4 + 1 sensor plate (running at cam speed) with hall or opto sensors be enough to run the ignition?

For fuel, I intend to run a TPS, MAP with a common intake filter ( this will go to individual throttles made from old round slide carbs), oil temp sensor and O2 sensor. Is that all correct or am I missing something?

If the above outline is good, then I could do the same with the car. I would leave the distributor on and make a trigger plate, but would not use the cap. I would then run two coil packs in a wasted spark arrangement. Would this be adequate for a turbo application? Would the V 2.2 board suffice or would a V3 be significantly better?

I am very excited at this stage of the project as I had to replace the motorcycle frame but have found a new one. Once the frame is painted, I can begin assembly and hope to be running in the next month or so.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Jose
milosch01
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by milosch01 »

I would think that you would need to know crank position primarily to fire more than one driver correctly, and possibly period. the cam wheel is a secondary need for COP from what I understand. Better wait for the experts to give you an answer, though.