Car won't start!

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

QldRobbo
MS/Extra Newbie

Car won't start!

Post by QldRobbo »

G'day,
I have a 1.8L 4cylinder engine. My setup is 36-1 wheel decoder with wasted spark using two vb921's.

Using the msns-e 029q2, mt 2.25 on v2.2 board.

I am having trouble getting the car to start for the first time... it seems the injectors aren't opening (pwm is 0) and there is no spark. I have previously had a spark (before I re-did my config in msns), so I am pretty sure the wiring is right.

Attached is my msq file, and a datalog.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Robbo
MegaScott
MS/Extra Guru

Re: Car won't start!

Post by MegaScott »

QldRobbo wrote:G'day,
I have a 1.8L 4cylinder engine. My setup is 36-1 wheel decoder with wasted spark using two vb921's.

Using the msns-e 029q2, mt 2.25 on v2.2 board.

I am having trouble getting the car to start for the first time... it seems the injectors aren't opening (pwm is 0) and there is no spark. I have previously had a spark (before I re-did my config in msns), so I am pretty sure the wiring is right.

Attached is my msq file, and a datalog.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Robbo
Robbo,

What kind of injectors do you have, low or high impedence? You have PWM set for 1ms at 75%?

Read and understand - http://www.megamanual.com/v22manual/minj.htm#pwm
QldRobbo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by QldRobbo »

They are low impendence... should the pw be around 2.3ms instead of 1ms?
MegaScott
MS/Extra Guru

Post by MegaScott »

QldRobbo wrote:They are low impendence... should the pw be around 2.3ms instead of 1ms?
Robbo,

http://www.megamanual.com/v22manual/mtune.htm#pwm

For 4 low impedence injectors, you may need the flyback board on a V2.2 board, if you have problems with the standard flyback,, especially once you realm into the higher duty cycles, you will want to get a flyback board, or use current limiting resistors.

I think if your car won't start with 75% PWM, and 1ms time threshold, bump up the threshold and the open time to say 1.2ms, and try it again until it starts, follow the tuning recomendations in the link above, don't get carried away here with PWM unless you get the flyback, you want to start at 75%.
QldRobbo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by QldRobbo »

my squirt was built by someone else, and he said that I should only need the flyback board if I were running more than 2 low z injectors off each driver... all I would have to do was set the PWM correctly and it should be right.

If my PWM settings were off a bit, would it still show them sitting at zero during cranking? As this is what it is doing currently.
poundinfire
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by poundinfire »

If my computer is reading your msq file correctly, you need to have cranking pw set to a little higher than .1 in all positions. After-Start Enrichment and warm-up enrichment need numbers as well.
QldRobbo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by QldRobbo »

ok, set the cranking pulse widths to betwee 11ms and 2ms... set the after start enrichment etc... fixed the spark problem... and it *nearly* starts... it fires but doesn't quite go, then the battery ran dead... so I've got it on charge and I'll have another go next weekend.
MegaScott
MS/Extra Guru

Post by MegaScott »

If you find it just about to catch but not quite, bump up the VE a little until it starts.